New Carrier bearings

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Green hornet, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Ok here is an update on my diff, I know D94 is going through a similar proses. I am not changing gears just bearing. I have the new carrier bearings in and the back lash set at .010, I have not touched the pinion bearings yet (old ones still in place). Thought I would check the pattern first. What is the diagnosis, is the pinion to deep? If I change things will I create a problem being these gears have been running this way for I don't know how long? They were in the car when I purchased it. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    I don't know why, but I have a hard time reading the white marking compound. If you have not removed or disturbed the pinion then do not change the depth. When you install the new bearings try to get the same pattern that you have right now.

3. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Sorry all I had is white and the kit cam with white also. I thought about adding some yellow paint to it Lol. So I will use the same pinion shim when I change the bearings. I take it that changing the pattern at this stage will create other issue?

4. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Yes, changing it will probably cause noise. Just try to get the pattern the same as it is now and it should be fine.

5. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    That's what I suspected. Thank you, you have been a great help.

big gear head likes this.
  6. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    When I replace the bearings I replace the posi clutch pack at the same time. Is there a break in time period for the clutch pack?

7. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Usually not. The clutches are only suppose to slip when turning a corner.

Green hornet likes this.