New Carrier bearings

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Green hornet, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Anyone familiar with Timken master bearing kit DRK321DMK for an 8.5 posi? Comes with everything including shims. Just want to make sure the Timken bearings are quality before I order. Thanks.

2. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    SF East Bay CA
    IMO, Timken makes the best tapered roller bearings. I worked in two different gear shops for about 15 years rebuilding heavy duty truck differentials.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Are you using a factory differential or after market? If it's after market then it will not sue the standard 8.5 bearings. Just be sure that you are getting the correct bearings for the differential that you are using. Timken bearings are very good.
    Have you looked at the Yukon kits? I don't know what shims are in that kit that you are looking at, but many kits have junk shims. The Yukon kits have good shims and Tom's Differentials kits have good shims.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I reccomend super shims and like said the proper bearings specific for the type and brand of differential

5. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    It is the factory posi carrier that's in the differential. I am replacing the bearings and want to get a kit with shims just in case. I haven't been able to find a listing for a kit that I'm positive will fit and has Timken beargins. Do you have a part number for a Yukon kit that has shims? I am trying to round up the parts before I take it apart to minimize down time. I will google Yukon and see what I find.

6. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Ok with a little more searching I think I have it figured out. With the advice of BGH on the Yukon brand I found that a Yukon YKGM8.5 kit fits stock GM posi carrier, they com with Timken bearings and shims. The Yukon YKGM8.5 HD fits aftermarket carriers. Now that I have found the correct kit with the help from you guys, let the fun begin.

7. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Yes, you got it right.

8. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    As expected I found a bad carrier bearing when I pulled the rear end apart today. I am replacing all the bearings and reusing the ring and pinion gears. I measured the back lash before I took it apart, it was set at .013 My question what do I set the back lash to? Do I set it at the .013 that I found it at or tighten it up?

9. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Chances are that the worn bearings could have caused the backlash to be a little too much. I would probably go with about .010 when going back together with it.

10. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA