New car, What is it???

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ahale2772, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ahale2772

ahale2772 Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2009
    boston ma
    Hey guy's

Just picked up a 71, split bumper camaro. PROJECT

its a real PROJECT, and we got it with a ton of parts so its at the "sum of its parts" stage. did I say this is going to be a big PROJECT??:bowtie:

Plans are for a throwback 70's SCCA HRG race car, not even enough car to try and build a real car..... so were definently not "ruining a nice car"

Anyways, Were trying to figure out what we have. RS? SS? we were told its an ss, the vin says its a v8, car built in september of 71. (norwood)

Dont have much history on it, but I dont believe the nose was ever swapped on/off the car. didnt come with a drivetrain, but it does have a 10bolt rear, with non-stock gears according to recipts

dont have the original steering wheel, or much of the interior. so decoding from there will be kind of hard.

Anyways...feast your eyes on the only good view of the car... the rear has no quarters, no taillight pannel, or much of anything else.

[​IMG]

mods, feel free to move this thread to where ever it should be...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    About the only info I can offer is, Z28,SS,or base, they all came with the 10 bolt rearend from 71 on. 70 was the only year 2nd gen to get a 12 bolt.

You got your work cut out for you, Thats for sure.

Good luck with her,

Jamie

EDIT: Being a 71 Norwood car, It should have Z27 on the trim tag if it was a SS.

3. ahale2772

ahale2772 Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2009
    boston ma
    Jamie,

trim tag says :

ST 71 12487nor 11e49BDY
    TR 789 11 6
    09b

EDID: can anyone tell me what would signify the car as an RS? I'm assuming a ss, or Z28 would be signified on the trim tag, but it seems as if a RS has no markings?

BTW the tank has been out of the car for a long time, if there was a build sheet, its LONG GONE

thanks

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It is not an SS or a Z28. Those options would be shown on the body tag. It is an RS simply because it has the RS front end. And, RS is not documented on the body tag.

5. ahale2772

ahale2772 Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2009
    boston ma
    thanks Gary, guess that answeres my question.

were looking to get the car as light as possible. so the nose will probably come off and be sold to fund the project. We are thinking of doing a "class glass.com" full fiberglass front nose, gutted glass doors, trunk lid...the works.

hoping to get it as close to 3000lbs wet with a full cage.

I will post a build once we get rolling on the project.

Thanks for all the info!