New Calif Smog test ..

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by muscl car, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    My guess she will be fine. Where in California is she?

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    San Diego..., ( future part of New California )

--

muscl car likes this.
  3. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Joe, my buddy says she should pass without an issue.

5. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Knuckle. That is good news and hopefully she won't have any issues. - She is trying to get settled in out there, so this should be one more step forward.

Thanks for checking with your friend, I appreciate it.

--

6. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

It's been a few years since this changed. In July 2016, I took my truck in for smog and it was the first time it was done OBD only. Only took like 10 minutes if that. OBD testing is on 2000 and newer year vehicles.
    I attached a scan of the smog check. Notice no emissions numbers.

Attached Files:

7. kdracer73

kdracer73 Veteran Member

May 12, 2010
    OC, Ca
    The new inspection types started March of 2015. This test applies to gas vehicles 2000 or newer, and diesels 98 and newer.

The test consists of a OBD function test, and the check engine light function is checked, the machine is plugged into the vehicle and checked for codes and completion of monitors. If the battery is disconnected, if battery voltage drops below threshold, or check engine light codes cleared, the PCM memory is erased. The vehicle will need to b driven until the monitors are complete. The only monitor allowed to be incomplete is the evap monitor.

Then there is a visual smoke inspection. The throttle is snapped and the tailpipe and engine are observed for smoke. Any visible smoke can be a failure.

Next is a visual inspection for broken, missing, deteriorated or modified emission parts.
    Checking and inflating tires to proper inflation is also part of the inspection, although not a failure item.

I have been advised by a Bureau of Automotive Repair employee , that follows this group, not to give too much advice or opinion regarding smog checks, so I am keeping my reply to a simple explanation of the test.

SoCal71RS likes this.
  8. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Not on you man, but God forbid we get the real information out there so people can comply with the regulations and enjoy their hobby. In my short time with BAR I found a lot of nice people but inevitably there's a few pricks looking to jam people up too.

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I know a quality smog station in Escondido (north San Diego county). I’ll PM you the details.