New Calif Smog test ..

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by muscl car, Jan 17, 2018.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When did Calif do away with the dyno roller style smog check ?? . I got a smog test on my 02 Tacoma Pre Runner today and it was just a hookup to my OBD II port . It also was a very quick test maybe 10min , the only thing that had the tech busy was trying to find the Carb EO#'s for the Supercharger , CAI and Header

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Curious about this as well. My daughter just moved to California and is delaying since we believe there may be some issues getting her 2000 Wrangler to pass, but if there is no check engine light, the OBDII would say clear, correct ?

--

muscl car likes this.
  3. muscl car

That's what the tech mentioned to me if my truck was displaying a check engine lite also if it has a bad alternator or battery

4. Smokin'Joe

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Great info. - I'll have her research a bit more and maybe she can transfer to a California Title.

Thanks !

--

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I think you misunderstood or misspoke Chuck. The test isn't going to care if you had a bad battery or alternator. What the concern is it will loose power and reset the ECM and OBD II monitors. They are going to be looking to have a specific number of monitors run, and passed. Of course the check engine light is a fail too. I'm not 100% up to date on exactly what California is doing but the OBD II test is pretty uniform state to state.

Joe, KDracer is a current smog tech in California and may be able to answer specific questions for you. I haven't seen him post in a while but maybe he'll see this. I'm still in touch with a couple of guys that test in California and could reach out if needed.

2ndgenSk8 and muscl car like this.
  6. muscl car

The Tech did ask me if I had a bad battery or alternator as those could cause loss of power to the ECM as you mentioned

He mentioned this to the customer before me , myself and the customer after me

7. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Yeah my guess is he's trying to save you a buck. If he starts the test and nothing has run he has to fail you and charge the fee. If you tell him you've had power issues he can help you make sure the test have run before hooking you up. Keep using that guy :)

muscl car likes this.
  8. Smokin'Joe

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Knuckle,

The 2000 Jeep Wrangler has a small crack in the exhaust manifold which has not been a problem in the 7-8 years we've had the truck. - It never had a problem passing emissions here in Texas but they don't exactly visually inspect anything here anymore..., all they do is hook it up to the OBDII and if it says things were ok, they slap a passing grade on it.

She was in California last year on a summer internship and had the Jeep in for oil change and they mentioned the cracked manifold to her and commented she may have an issue passing California emissions with it. - She now has taken a permanent job in California, but has been hesitant to try and change the title over as she doesn't want to throw up any red flags if it fails.

It's not a big issue, just interested if California does it like they do here in Texas. - If OBDII says it's good..., it's good. - But here in Texas, once it's on the OBDII computer, if it fails, the VIN goes directly into the State computer system.

Thanks !

---

9. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I believe and exhaust leak will fail, depending on the tech running the test. Can it be heard while running or any obvious staining??

10. Smokin'Joe

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    It's just a hairline crack that can be seen when underneath. Sometimes the leak can be faintly heard, but with all the other noises that Jeep makes, it can be hard to make out. :) - It used to randomly toss up a check engine code every once in awhile, but would go out shortly after coming on and I don't think it's thrown one out for several years now.

She's going to have to take her chances either way. - I was just hoping to offer her some encouragement.

Thanks !

--