New Adventure

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 79supergasdriver, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    I have owned the same black '79 since mid-November of 2001, when I was a short-sighted and arrogant 19 year old idiot. Long story short, I messed up a lot of stuff on this car striving for various goals. Like no heat (the entire apparatus and controls were removed), windshield wipers, door panels, inner fender wells, head liner or backseats...in addition to body damage, cancerous rust, improperly mounted fuel cell, no crash protection structure under the bumpers or in doors...you know, stuff that don't matter when your only goal is speed.

Now I'm pretty much done with the drag racing thing and just want a nice looking, nice driving, shuts down the ricer in the next lane when needed, respectable car. But the cost of refurbishing my current car to that condition is is just plain unobtainable. So I'm abandoning it and starting over.

Went and looked at a '79 Z rolling shell today. Exterior was obviously repainted in a nice shiny maroon red (complete with over spray on the tank) and still had the rivet holes from the rubber door bump guards. Front passenger quarter panel had a new panel added behind the wheel opening. Lower grille insert broken, but I'll transfer my expanded metal mesh one (I fabbed it up several years ago). These things don't bother me because I'm not restoring it or building a show piece. T-tops looked good, seals intact, fit snug. No detectable damage concealment. Interior was bright red, except the black center console, which was obviously modded to accommodate an aftermarket manual shifter and the power window buttons. No problem; I'll move my console and B&M Megashifter anyway. Seller had some crazy expensive 6-speed manual in it. I can't afford all that, so I plan to carefully uninstall and store away all his hydraulic clutch pedal assembly to re-use later when funds allow. He is giving me the shortened driveshaft and cross member too. I'll move my factory cross member and shaft over. Carpet is in pretty good shape but pulled out of the sill plates on both sides. I'll probably change it to black because there's just soooo much red in there.

The dash is a new drop-in Speedhut unit, fully wired and allegedly functional, with documentation. Pretty nice setup. Door panels are great, power windows work, backseats are great. Stereo even allegedly works with two Sony Xplod 6x9's on the back dash.

He's throwing in bolt-in subframe connectors and Prothane motor mounts. I'll transfer over my PTFbody solid frame busing set. Both cars have GM 8.5" 10-bolt posi 3.73 rear ends, but mine has GM discs (the assembly was pulled from a 78 WS6 Firebird) and his has drums. Can those brakes be interchanged, or should I just swap the whole unit over? He's also throwing in two hoods, both featuring the proper teardrop cowl, but one has the normal hinge cracks. It has full set of very nice condition Z28 wheels with clean beauty rings and caps, but I'm transferring my Cragars over. I'll keep the Z wheels and try to recoup some investment from those.

The one thing that bothers me, and it really isn't a big deal at this point because the car is titled in Kansas and will not require inspection, but it may become an issue at some unforeseen point-the VIN tag under the windshield and VIN plate under the hood do not match. No sticker on the door (which doesn't surprise me with the paint job).

I intend to have my current engine freshened up (short block basic rebuild processes with slightly more cam and possibly new heads) while it is out, and hopefully, tackle the oozing transmission too. It's annoying but not urgent. One obnoxious thing the current setup does is drip oil from the push-in breathers on startup. Hot vapors condense in there and soak up the filter media then shake out right onto the headers. I know those pan-e-vac systems are better for racers with extremely hot and high velocity exhaust, but if it works to suck those vapors out and away, then I just might do it to control the mess without contaminating the intake charge like PCV does. But that's a long ways away. First things first is transferring my existing front suspension (Hotchkiss sport 2" drop springs installed last week, all four control arms with literally two week old ball joints and bushings, poly sway bar bushings and links, steering linkage is all ~7 years old) and pilfering any other usable stuff out of my current shell before disposing of the shell one way or another. I don't have room for both inside and cannot leave it out for too long before code enforcement gets called. This neighborhood is really clean and they like to keep it that way.

2. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Sounds like you have a cool project. I can sympathize, my 1st car was a 79 that I got at 16 and was destroyed by myself and my siblings. I would have loved to have restored but it would have never been cost effective. Lets see some pictures and good luck on the build!

3. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    I
    I'm towing it home Monday evening. Pics will be posted!

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

There is no VIN plate under the hood. The only VIN plate is in the lower part of the dash that you can see though the windshield. The metal plate on the cowl, under the hood is the cowl plate and it has info on it pirating to the body color, year, interior color and a couple of other things.

5. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Right; I don't know why that didn't click while I was typing this. Thanks!

6. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    I've got pics on my phone; if I remember I'll get 'em uploaded this afternoon.

7. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Member

Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    Following along. It's a nice Z

8. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Thanks. Two more weeks of college classes then things will start moving more quickly.

9. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    Looks very solid, good luck with your project! :)