New 1974 Custom Camaro

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by 77camarottop, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Nice car I like how the rear window trunk divider is molded in. Also the seat sensor is for a unique 74 only starting system. If it were working correctly. You wouldn't be able to start the car unless you sat in the seat and had the seat belt buckled.

2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Wow.....it still has the old seat interrupt system. Almost never see a complete system .

My car still has that system in and it all works too. LOL ....

I call it my thief preventer.....I figured people in a hurry wouldn't take time to buckle up ...especially the pass .....in a hurry to steal the car.

When it's all functioning right, car won.'to start unless driver and pass are sitting their butts in seat and belts buckled. It was a 74 model year thing.

It was too far ahead of its time . People rejected it , folks back then weren't all that anal about using them and openly fought the idea of forced buckle ing up.

Your car is very cool .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    Its connected to the bypass button on the fender. If the system fails you pop the hood push the button and you have one shot to start the car supposedly, I had a LT with it and a Impala back in the day and never had to use it. Granted we thought it was some magic button because the owners manuals were gone on anything I ever owned ha

[​IMG]

4. 77camarottop

77camarottop Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    now i know what the fender thing is for, its all there and wired up on the fender, looks untouched. guess they bypassed the seat connections and other fuse connections or what ever.

supposedly this car was purchased by a wife for her husband and he did not like it and put it in a barn for 19 years of the 20 years they owned it. maybe why the paint is still nice and car is mostly original.

5. Z28PILOT

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    She must have loved him. Somebody dropped some serious coin into that paint and body work.. Makes mine look like it was painted with a rattle can.

If it had a big ol blower sticking though the hood it would look like a cover car for old Car Craft magazine.

But myself ..I wouldn't change a thing .

6. 77camarottop

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    lots of progress over the last 4 days on the car. brought all the seats to my seat guy and he replaced the bolsters on driver and passenger seat, fixed some seam splits, one rip and a bulge in the rear seat. i also cleaned them all as good as i could. radio and speakers are installed and it sounds great. ac was removed as it did not work, compressor is bad and wiring was a mess. smog tubes were removed as well and manifolds plugged off with plugs from camaro central(have to admit i do not like the fit, i thought they would screw in more, they stick out way to much), a few of the tubes were broke, pump was missing and lines were plugged, it was a mess.

added chrome valve covers and wire loom guides. painted brake booster and mc and added mc cap. trunk is painted and black trunk mat added. i buy the material from menards and cut to fit, cost 10 bucks to do a trunk.

i am getting dual exhaust installed on thursday with flowmaster 40's, there are holes in current exhaust, very old.

lots more detailing to be done under the hood. touch up block with gm orange, put manifold paste on passenger log, detail steering pump and left side of engine bay. i will keep the suitcase on since the heat works very well and ac can be added back on.

may also get new tires as i do not like the size of them. 235/60/15 in back and 205/60/14 in front way to small.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what trunk looked like when purchased
    [​IMG]
    how it looks now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. 77camarottop

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    dual exhaust was installed thursday from logs back. 2.5" with flowmaster 40's, much improvement.

8. Z28PILOT

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Interior is super nice and looks totally stock .

:)

9. 74Z boy

74Z boy Member

Mar 3, 2001
    North Carolina
    That is a cool car. Reminds me of the paint jobs during the pro-street early days. Rick Dobbertin, Scott Sullivan style. I'd do like every one else sez, keep it that way and drive it.

10. 77camarottop

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    got the new exhaust installed 2.5" with flowmaster 40's, what a difference in sound and driving, just great. getting new tires installed today 235/60 up front and 245/60 in back, will post photos when i get it back.

new brake lines, fuel lines and fuel tank were installed prior to me getting car.

almost done detailing under the hood too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]