Never assume tomorrow is coming :(

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mrdragster1970, Mar 1, 2018.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Rough 2 month's around here.
    Car buddy get's colon cancer, not doing that great, but still fighting.
    His brothers wife get's cancer, told nothing they can do spread all over, ~6 months, she drops dead 2 weeks later.
    Old customers young son gets cancer, in the hospital, so must be bad.
    Car buddy has both hips replaced, healing up so he can get both knees replaced this summer,
    just told he has cancer, nothing they can do spread all over, has ~2 months.

Horrible news, especially since all of them are younger than me :(

Never assume, do it now while you can!!!

2. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    I know where you are coming from on this. My health has been in decline for quite sometime. I am trying to be thankful and happy for each day I have left. It is tough losing friends. I have lost two close drag racing friends in the last 3 months. I have a shirt with their car and team members names on it, and wonder who is the next one to drop? Going racing this Sunday! Can't sit here and think about things.
  3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It definitely makes you pay more attention.
    I'm on 13 prescriptions, and that surgery 18 months ago really slapped me in the face after never seeing a Dr. for decades.
    That's why I lost 50 lbs, eat much much better, and have been trying to convert some of my crap into cash for the kids & grandkids.

I've been working on my trucks, trailer & cars, and I'm going to get off the couch more this summer instead of just 1-2 times a month.
    '72 Camaro will be off the table soon, Formula will be running soon, & getting headers, Flowmaster.
    Not sure if the fast car or 70 1/2 will be ready, but we'll see how my energy lasts.

Hoping to get more time living, instead of sitting my ass on the couch!!! More fresh air, less TV.
    Wife passed away 8 years ago, no more excuses!!

We are hoping the one guy lasts long enough to take his new car out.
    He just bought a new track car last summer to celebrate his new knee's & hips.
    A buddy fixed it all up for him and now this happens :(

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That is a lot to deal with in such a short time. My Dad used to say that all his friends were dead. So he had to go make new ones. He survived colon cancer but got the bag. He lived many years like that. His Heart is what gave out in the end. My relationship with him was not great while I was in my late teens. He drank too much and that was a major factor in his colon cancer and heart problems. He stayed with me for a some time before he kicked off. I think he was trying to make up for lost time. We did connect on a certain level but drinking was a problem and we had arguments when it got to that point. I am glad we had the time we did because it was different that when I was growing up. You never know when you will draw your last breath. Do what you can but don't kill yourself doing it. Don't chase your tail.
  5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    As most of you know, my wife and I went through, since December, losing her daughter and my brother. We also attended 4 other funerals/memorials for friends and one family member. I have two birthday parties this weekend. I like them a lot better. I plan on taking better care of myself so that my family and friends don't have another funeral to attend.
    So, Mr. Dragster, I completely understand where you are coming from. And very glad you have resolved to take better care of yourself. We certainly would miss you around here! And, I'm darned sure there are many others who feel the same.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  6. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hobart, Indiana
    Seems like health problems must be in the water. I have lost 35 lbs and still going due to age related / combat related injuries. Several veterans I served with lived through hell on earth and have died from cancer or other related health issues such as their heart. Just makes me think of all the crap we were exposed to and if and when it will affect me and others from that unit. Friends mom dies Sunday to cancer. Fighting it for years and was too worn out to continue. Like I've heard several times, tomorrow is a gift, not a given. Wrench on!
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  7. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Medical situations are indeed difficult to deal with. Many of you are aware, I was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, an anaplastic oligodendroglioma in 2004. Operation and chemo. Told me maybe 3-5 years. Three years later, prostate cancer. Oh boy! This can't be good. In 2011, a serious kidney disease. Monday, I have to go in for an outpatient operation. I have carcinoma. Hoping it didn't spread to the kidneys. How am I still kicking? First, I follow two philosophies - "It's not the destination; it's the journey." Enjoy everyday as its your last. Second - Do the things you can do and try to do the things you want to do. Everything I was doing before all this started I am still doing, well, no more hockey. Depends is my favorite company. I may take stock out in them! :)

Where we live now, as difficult as it is to say, many folks are getting very sick and/or passing. Went to a service about 5 weeks ago. Found out this morning a guy who lives directly across the lake from me was diagnosed with a brain tumor. His wife has cancer also; and they are young. The more I talk to folks around here, the more I find out about illnesses. Scary.

How am I still alive? I guess the Good Lord isn't ready for me yet! I have an Aunt who was a Nun for 83 years. Maybe she put the good word in for me. Who knows? After the operation for the brain tumor,, a part of the tumor couldn't be removed, hence chemo. I was told I'm on it for 12-15 months and if its decreased in size, maybe radiation. Shockingly, after two months, the tumor was gone and it hasn't returned. Doctors all over the country couldn't figure out how this happened and they are still shocked. Who knows?

Live each day the best you can. Don't just sit around. Get off your butt. You just don't know what tomorrow holds for you.
  8. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Sorry to hear all that John, hope things get better fast
  9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    The older I get, the more I realize I'm lucky to have survived the things I have. I just keep on keeping on for my family and friends that weren't as fortunate. I've already outlived my mother, sister, various relatives, and too many good friends to count. Every time I strap into a race car I know someone is riding with me.
    Smokey15 likes this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why they call it "The Present".
    Some day the day will come when the day won't.
    I thank God every day I'm still here, because none of us get out of this alive. I never thought I'd live this long, with some of the stuff I've been through. I guess it's true, only the good die young.