Need some opinions...

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by wiseryder, Feb 5, 2018.

1. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Hi guys,Long story short, I had a guy last summer build a 381 stroker short block but it allways smoked from the beginning, I put about 5k miles on it..
    Anyways I pulled it sat, striped it to bare block, it's at a different shop now
    He's going to check it but pretty sure it's going to be bored to 030 over, pump gas , street car,
    Im wondering what to use for pistons and rings,(brand), I was looking at keith black stuff.
    Im going to ask him for his thoughts too.
    What does everybody here use?
    thanks

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Keith Black pistons are hypereutectic; which is a fancy way of saying "cast, with extra silicon in them". Always used forged pistons in any performance Chevy build.
    SRP Pistons and JE Pistons are both good options for street cars. For rings, go with whatever your engine builder recommends for the piston. He's going to hone the block based on a certain kind of ring.

3. wiseryder

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Yes I should have said I wanted forged slugs... it had Hypers in it .
    But those 2 brands are not in the budget . any other brands ?

4. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Frostbite Falls MN
    Get the pistons & rings before, make sure he torque plate hones it. KB make forged too.

5. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I bought an Eagle Rotating assembly ... this came with all Forge crank, rods and Pistons. The Crank and Rods were from Eagle and the pistons were from Mahle.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I have used Speed Pro pistons without any issues

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I looked at their site, who woulda thought that a company with this logo would make Forged Pistons too. They must have bought someone in the last few years

[​IMG]

8. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I got a good deal on Wiseco's from Skip White

9. wiseryder

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    M Wilson, are those forged?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    If you use KB Hypers pay close attention to the top ring gap, too small with those and the ring butts and cracks a ring land. I always use Speed Pro Hypers.