need some input on gas gauge readings please

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by buildinmy73, Apr 14, 2016.

1. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    ok so i'm using a VDO sender in my ricks tank part number 226008 which says it's o ohm empty and 90 ohm full .
    my gauge is a autometer 3613 fuel gauge electric.short sweep 0-90 ohm

i put five gal in it the other day to try and get it running for first time and gauge read a little past 1/2 tank.

tank is a ricks stainless tank (I believe 18 gal) i bought used.
    i pulled connector off s terminal on gauge and it read 48 ohm at the wire
    I wish i checked sender before i put tank in but prev owner says it worked fine . i did check the part number on sender and is as described above (0-90ohm)
    any ideas on what else i could check >? or is pulling sender to verify it indeed is as part number states a 0-90 ohm .?
    thanks DAN

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Victoria, bc
    I know basically nothing about the topic but could it be that its not calibrated for a 18 gal tank? The sender thinking its a 10 could explain the reading if that's how it works?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A measured 48 Ohms on the circuit and reading just over half indicates it IS a 0-90 Ohm gauge.

The reason your sending unit thinks it's above full seems to point to a sending unit problem.
    A poor ground connection could raise the resistance (and indicated fuel level) of the circuit but I think the likely culprit is a sending unit which is faulty (arm hanging up) or incorrect for the application (sits too deep in the tank).

4. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    great reading THANK YOU

5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you are welcome, I end up posting that link a few times a year.