Need motivation - 10 year project - 79 Camaro Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by bwalke4775, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bwalke4775

bwalke4775 New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Rochester, Michigan
    Here is my 10 year project that I have never driven! In need of some motivation, or if anyone is working on a 79 camaro, tips are appreciated! I worked on it in the beginning and it has sat for years as I finished school. At this point I need to finish it in order to sell it, but if I am going to finish it I might as well keep it. I believe I have atleast 90% of the parts. I even have extra parts I don't know what to do with.

New floor boards, new roof, frame sandblasted and painted, new stainless steel brake and fuel lines, new tank, new rotors/pads (kept original suspension), engine bored out approximately .30 and full edlebrock top end kit with aluminium heads, intake, fuelpump, double pump carb, aluminium radiator and fan, new break booster, new interior not installed.

Current pains in the ass: steering column linkage is a piece of shit. modifications to motor has made gas pedal cable a challenge to get correct tension. I could get into more detail and add pictures but here's what I have for today. camaro.jpg

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Don't look at the whole picture or you'll get frustrated. Take it one step at a time and it'll be done before you know it.

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    What he said. I was in the exact same situation about a year ago. I'd driven my 80 TWICE, the last time it ran out of gas on the street. That was over 6 years ago while I was still an undergrad. It was in pieces since.

I found what broke me out of the rut was to think about systems. Fuel system. Electrical system. Brake system. etc etc. This way I identified a system and FINISHED IT. This took the "oh God I have so much to do" out of it and allowed me to focus. As a result I got to the point where I could test drive the car for the first time a few weeks ago. Believe me, when you get to that point you will realize it was all worth it.

My biggest issue since then has been funding. Being the sole breadwinner with 3 kids means there is not much left over for cars, but I've picked at it a little bit at a time and now here I am. It sounds like (since you already have a lot of parts) that this will not be your issue.

Remember the old adage: "the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time."

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    image.jpg Really good motivation is to be able to start it & drive it even if it's only back & forth in the driveway. I rebuilt the engine, transmission was still good, new gears in the rear. At that point I really wanted to know what it would do so I'd drive it up & down the street I lived on. This motivated me enough to get it done.

5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I will have to remember that the next time i eat an elephant - Lol

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Remember that this is a hobby Just work on it just when you have the time and money.It will get done eventually. 130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yeah focus on getting the motor running even if it's with a gas can and some temporary starter and charge circuit wiring

Then make it move and stop under its own power.

The steering columns in these are pretty common, not hard to swap out.

Accelerator cable is also a really common GM item available in numerous lengths. I'm guessing you just need a slightly longer one and possibly a different bracket on the carb to solve your problem.

8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    As others have said, break it into individual projects and complete them one at a time or if you are waiting for parts for one part keep working on another part.....

Based on what you say you have already if it were me I would do the following:

1. Get brakes installed and bled. Since you are using all stock parts it can be totally re-done in a couple of weekends.
    2. Sort out the steering column and accelerator cable 2-4 weekends dpeneding on what is up with the column
    3. Get the motor running and plumbed 2-4 weekends depending on current state
    4. Make sure door hinges are good...replace if sagging - 2 weekends with door alignment
    5. Get the nose of the car back on - 2 weekends
    6. Not sure what is going on with the interior...if the dash is in, put carpets and front seats in...don't worry about the back seats for now - 2 weekends
    7. Finsih off any items necessary to make it driveable..... Wildcard on time
    8. Don't worry about how it looks, if you hate it looking all piecemeal then just plasti dip the car black so you can just peel it off when you are ready to paint it! The trick is to lay on several layers so it is good and thick everywhere and it will peel right off. If not, you already have a car with "patina" which is very trendy.... 2 Weekends
    9. Drive!
    Good luck and just have fun....don't pressure yourself.

9. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    ^+1. As said above. Make a list of what is need to be done. Break that list down into sub-lists for each item, prioritizing what needs to be done. Wright it down on paper, a white board, a piece of plywood what ever floats your boat but make sure to wright it down. As you complete each task cross it off the list. There is no better motivation than to be able to cross things off as you complete them and see the list start to shrink. Before you know it you are burning doughnuts in front of the house. Hope this helps and good luck. Keep us posted if you can.

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Hey. Quit posting up details on how I'm finishing my project. The plastidip was my dirty little secret. Thanks for outing me dude!

Just kidding. This is almost EXACTLY how I'm approaching things with my car right now. It's actually working too!