Need mig welding tips

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by tspring1, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    and if you don't know....

DO NOT LOOK AT THE ARC without a #10 lens!....ever.

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    ^^^^Arc Eye Ain't No Fun^^^^

3. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    ^^ if you don't want feel like you have a ton of sand in your eyes.. Safety first!

4. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Absolutely, without fail, protect your eyes. And make sure you wear long sleeve shirts. You will be surprised at how little welding it will take to give you a terrible sunburn on your arms, and even the front of your neck where it's below your welding helmet and above your shirt collar. Tank tops and t-shirts are not for welding! Make sure to have shoes on and your pantlegs down over the tops of your shoes. If a piece of molten slag gets into your shoe you will be surprised how fast you can rip your shoe off while the slag is burning into you!

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Watch for the top button on your shirt, it will leave a triangled spot burned on your neck...LOL

Also be careful of metal watch bands, as the spatter balls can heat that metal band up and leave a nasty mark around your wrist....don't ask me how I know.

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    thats why you always have refreshments handy :lush:

7. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    refreshments to put out any fires that we accidentally start from the hot work?...:p

8. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    oh, and don't forget the ear plugs when welding out of position...not because of any loud noises, but from stray spatter balls finding their way down into your ear canal.....you can hear the wax sizzle and it burns pretty good too.

9. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    ^^^^That's gotta suck^^^^

I also agree with the sunburn, I was welding for 15 min in a tee......NEVER AGAIN!!! My bicept is still red!!!!!

I'm looking into a nice welding coat now.

BTW.....Wear only cotton too.

10. lsx71

lsx71 Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2011
    South MS
    If you've never welded before and plan on doing it for awhile and want to keep good eyesight for years from now, ya might should go with something a little darker than a shade 10 lens as well. I weld for a living and I personally use an 11 and I know it might not sound like much a difference but it really is. And its been said already but earplugs! Keep em handy, wax bubbling in your ear is no fun plus listening to a grinder and what not can damage your hearing if you do it on a daily basis.
    Good luck!

You guys paid for welding classes?! Man down here there is places that do weld training for free, I took a week long training class on aluminum mig for a job about 2 months ago, of course I didn't get paid for it but I am now employed with the largest aluminum ship yard in this area.