Need help with ignition switch removal ASAP!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by asphaltburner, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Trans selector shaft thing?

Which piece are you talking about.. Is it INSIDE the column?
    There are diagrams at this link to help you identify which piece you are talking about...
    NastyZ28 Steering Column Info

2. 10second74

10second74 New Member

Jun 7, 2006

#37 on the 1st drawing, it's the tube that runs down the column. I had trouble removing the 4 screws that are in behind the turn signal switch, they just turn and turn like the nuts inside are stuck. I dont think it slides out the bottom either.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I've never had one of these columns completely apart so I don't know for sure... part #42 (a retaining clip) may be your key to disassembling this part.

I think the entire column may need to be out of the car to disassemble and remove the shift tube. (part #37)

I hope someone else can give your more complete info.

4. 10second74

10second74 New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Thanks guys.. Yes the column is out (someone took the entire car apart) and im just going through and fixing stuff and putting it all back on the car, and removing anything I dont need. My first hurdle is to get the ignition lock out, then ill go from there. I tried the clip thing, and the steering shaft wanted to drop out, but I only want to remove the shifter tube if possible, and it is attached to the outter sleeve (30 or 31 in drawing) so it may just stay in there lol

5. mmiler

mmiler Veteran Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Redlands, CA SoCal
    Your ignition key is NOT NEEDED to remove the cylinder!