Need help with ignition switch removal ASAP!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by asphaltburner, Oct 12, 2005.

1. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Help! I'm gonna rip this out like I was stealing the car but I'd like to hear from you guys first! Ignition stuck between "lock" and "run" and will not turn to either position with, or without, key. Key pulls out without being in either position due to wear. I DARE you guys to advise! How do I remove the lock cylinder without damaging the surrounding steering column? I'll accept "wild hairs" too! I've removed the wheel and turn signal switch,...released the ign. switch latch, and still no go! Even broke the wave washer and antitheft ring after knocking off the part of the outer switch that has the twin finger tabs to help turn the switch. Ideas?? Administrators? Thanks, Todd.

2. dgwar

dgwar Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Santee,South Carolina
    drill the tumblers out. then you can turn it and release the lock pin

------------------
    1981 Camaro Coupe
    402 auto.

3. asphaltburner

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Yeah, thanks dgwar,...guess I'll drill. Already have a new lock cylinder and keys that I bought nearly a year ago when I needed to replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch and bought both halves "just in case". From the look of the edges of the column that surround the key insertion area, someone has been here before,...hope it's not evidence that I'm going to have to bypass and jerry rig the whole thing! Sure worked well daily for about 7,000 - 8,000 miles and then WHAM! Thanks again.

4. asphaltburner

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Negative! Rotation of the lock cylinder is not the problem. I am looking at my new lock cylinder and it has two locking tabs. The one at the bottom is released, and retracted, when the key is turned from the "lock" position, the second (which I suspect is causing me to not be able to remove the cylinder) is a larger spring loaded tab that protrudes from the side of the cylinder and would be directly in front of the driver. I can find no way to depress this tab if the cylinder is in the column. I have done this on several other types of vehicles, but my Camaro allows no access to this tab, nor does the rotation of the key retract this tab. My column allows me access to the bottom tab and to the top of the turn signal switch activating rod and rack assembly. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Administrators?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I've never done this before but I recall an article on rebuilding a GM steering column from a while back.

Here it is... http://www.carcraft.com/howto/56459/

They mention accessing a spring latch through an area that is normally covered in "casting flash". The "flash" has to be broken out to access the spring latch.

I hope this helps you out!

Now take a deep breath and don't panic. Everything is going to work out fine.

[This message has been edited by Twisted_Metal (edited October 13, 2005).]

6. asphaltburner

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Damn! Twisted is all over this like flies on feces! For those of you who need to do this in the future,...let me clue you in! Picture in the Car Craft article is upside down to begin with! Picture in the '74 shop manual (proper for my '76, with supplement) is terrible! The proceedures up to this point are fairly easy,...pulling the wheel and turn signal assembly. But that damn hole has to be made at the right spot, and GM provides a small unfinished slot to the left of the proper spot that is easy to break out and is WRONG. The proper spot for the small hole (I used a 7/64" drill bit) is almost directly below and about 1/4" to the left of the upper turn signal assembly mount and screw hole. It lies at the bottom left of a casting depression. Break, or drill thru, the lower part of this spot (very thin aluminum) and enlarge to a vertical slot. The locking tab of the lock cylinder lies just forward of this slot and a small screwdriver will depress it. Do this with the key in the "run" position, and that will retract the other locking tab that is on the bottom of the lock cylinder. The cylinder will then slide out of the column. I have recorded this in my shop manual, and will try to be available to field questions, or problems in this area since this was a nightmare for even myself, who's spent probably a couple of years underneath and inside numerous types of vehicles rebuilding them! I'm at wetminkey@hotmail.com or wetminkey@aol.com and would love to help if you need!

7. 2ndgen79camarors

2ndgen79camarors Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2004
    franklin sq, ny, 11010
    Have you tried turning the column behind the steering whell all the way to one side, that is how i got my key out of the lock position it might be a rod binding a bit. most columns turn a bit when you switch gears, unless it is a manual transmission

8. asphaltburner

Oct 11, 2003
    Ault, CO USA
    Yo! Here's a helpful pic, nicely provided by 1owner72 at a much later date!
    [​IMG]
    Click to enlarge. The slot can be see center right, just above the steering shaft and bearing. It's just left of the turn signal assembly mounting hole. Todd.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I had a similar problem with S10 tilt column. Took the steeting column out, took it to lock smith in Binghamton, NY called Bennedum's ( http://local.yahoo.com/details?fr=d...4mpCv909pG8dMPxzor6aSSiCO9jrAhgTOd2RLvRh4Fnrr ). For $50 they cleaned and lubricated the steering column, installed a new lock set, and made three keys for it. Beauty of it, I didn't have to do a thing except remove and install the steering column. BTW, it works flawlessly.

10. 10second74

10second74 New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Has anyone found a way to remove the trans selector shaft thing? Im having great difficulties as well getting the lock cylinder out, fun fun! Oh mine is a 74, auto. Thanks