Need Help Lower Door Panel 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Ote, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Ote

Ote Member

Sep 24, 2017
    On the back of the plastic lower door panel, there are eleven of what look like #8 x 3/4" wafer head phillips self piercing screws. The head diameter is about 9/16". They screw into nuts that are attached to the door panel. I have two problems:
    1) I don't know what they are for. I assume they attach the door panel card (the flat piece with vinyl covering) to this lower door panel, but I'm just guessing. Does anyone know how to use these screws?
    2) I'm missing 8 of these special screws and can't locate source anywhere on the internet. Anyone have any? Or a source?
    I've attached some pictures.
    back of lower door panel.jpg back of lower door panel 2.jpg wafer head screw.jpg back of lower door panel 3.jpg

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
  3. Ote

Ote Member

Sep 24, 2017
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    GM door panel screws

Figured they were not unique to Camaros.

Just checked AMK and they don't seem to have them.

5. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    I was attaching attaching my lower door panel to the new main door panel today. I came up short one of those special attaching screws. The local ACE hardware store has wide selection of screws etc but not those unique lower panel screws. I had to resort to substituting a pan head screw and washer. I hope you find a supply of the panel screws. On the outside chance I locate some I'll let you know.
    IMG_0455.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  6. Ote

Ote Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'll let you know if I end up with some. Question: How were you able to locate where exactly on the door panel card to push the 11 screws through so that they all lined up with the nuts on the lower door panel AND the lower door panel/door panel card combination lined up with the door correctly (the hole at each end of the lower door panel has to line up with the holes in the door and the door card has to be straight, etc.)?

7. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    The reproduction door panels mfg by P.U.I. have the appropriate holes punched in the cardboard which makes it easy to align and attach the lower door panel in the right position. The difficult part is getting the seven metal clips and plastic plugs perfectly lined up with corresponding holes in the inner part of the door . Once you think you have everything lined up and try to attach the panel to the door you may find that one or two or more of the clips and plugs are failing to hold.

8. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Heather at Fbody Warehouse said she believes she can get the lower door panel screws you need.
    She also said anyone in need of the panel screws should call her at (423)949-6820

9. Ote

Ote Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Thank you for the update 70 Proof! These fasteners are hard to come by for sure.