Need help identifying block

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by FloridaDaily79, Apr 14, 2018.

1. FloridaDaily79

FloridaDaily79 New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to Camaros and the forums, recently picked up a 1979 as a daily driver. Originally a 305 car its been swapped to a 350. I'm new to SBC motors, but I was able to easily locate both the casting number and the machine pad with the engine ID. Casting number is 14010207 so I know it's a 350 from 80-85 but it's doesn't identify 2 or 4 bolt main. What throws me off is the engine ID of V0913FSM I cannot for the life of me find the FSM suffix code ANYWHERE. I've looked through maybe 10 different reference pages and nothing. Anybody ever seen this before?

2. FloridaDaily79

Update; I was able to clean up the pad a little bit better and the lower number (partial vin?) I found was TE4502811. All I can figure from that is it's from a GMC truck but that still doesn't help the info I'm looking for. Any good resources I could be missing for this?

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Suffix TBM or TSM? That would be for a truck engine, 350, early 80s. In general if the crank balancer is 8 in dia it might be the four bolt main. Real hard to pin this down in those truck engines.

4. FloridaDaily79

Suffix is FSM just rechecked

5. FloridaDaily79

Nobody has EVER seen this suffix code? Still lost trying to locate info on it, any help would be much appreciated.

6. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I seen one other thing on the net a guy asking about it.
    Seems his was in a 1979 3500 truck.
    It is what it is.
    At least you know it is a 350.. 2 bolt or 4 bolt is only for talking to buddies.
    I actually prefer a 2 bolt block myself.
    I have punished them and never hurt them. I have seen a lot of 4 bolt blocks with less cam and less compression than I run and the outer bolts or say the holes they go into are cracked.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  7. FloridaDaily79

Thanks for the info.
    I'm new to messing around with SBC motors, I figured that info would be needed when I'm getting accessories like oil pumps etc.

8. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

There are a few things that are different ..that would be some of the sheet metal ..oil pumps I use are all the same from my 283 to my 388.
    That is what really helped the SBC.. The parts interchange between many engines.