need help finding 73 camaro numbers

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Mojimax, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Mojimax

Mojimax New Member

Nov 13, 2017
    hi some guy is selling this 73 camaro and i need to know where all the tags and numbers are to see if its a matching number car and find out what was its original:
    color , engine , tranny , interior . wheels , real RS or not , how many carbs , if it had stripes , interior color , etc...

but i dont know where the numbers are , and looks like there is more than just 1 vin number and i should be looking for cowl tag and trim tag also?

can someone show me with pictures where are these numbers? the owner says its 73 SS and since they didnt make any 73 SS im really skeptical.

we don't have many 70-73 camaro's here in Iran so its kind of rare , he is asking 25 grand for it , does not look super clean but its decent.

thank you in advance , some of the cars pictures (taken from the ad)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    As you stated, there were no SS models in 1973, so it isn't an SS. It however appears to be a real RS. You can find a lot of information about the car here.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro73.html
    The original engine and tranny have a partial VIN stamped on them that would match the VIN of the car. Also, the VIN will identify what engine originally came with the car.

Mojimax likes this.
  3. Mojimax

Mojimax New Member

Nov 13, 2017
    hi , thx for reply , so the cowl tag does contain the vin number and all the other info i need or is there another number somewhere on the car? thanks.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The cowl tag (body tag) does not contain the VIN number. The VIN number is on the VIN tag and also on the original engine and tranny.

5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    The VIN tag is on the dash. In 1973 the VIN will have 1 letter that tells you what engine came in the car.
    The tag on the cowl will list some of the options such as color and interior and possibly others. Read the link that Gary provided above, it will give you lots of info.