Need help choosing welder

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by allstar12316, Apr 29, 2013.

1. allstar12316

allstar12316 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Manalapan, Nj
    I am 100% sure I need to stick with 110v for now. Later down the road I plan on upgrading to 220 but won't need it for a few years. I am having a hard time choosing between hobart handler 140, lincoln 140, and millers equivilant. Can you guys chime in?

2. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    All are great welders and will work great for sheet metal. I am a Lincoln fan, but nothing wrong with the Hobart or Miller.

See what is on sale, and spend the rest on a high quality auto darkening helmet.

3. bigblockbird75

bigblockbird75 Veteran Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Binghamton, NY
    All are good welders. I use lincoln, but I've used both miller and hobart. We have a miller that's 110 at work that works well.
    The biggest question in choosing a welder isn't brand, but what your intended usage is.

4. allstar12316

Dec 6, 2011
    Manalapan, Nj
    I need to do some sheet metal work. Floors and body panels. I have an auto darkening helmet from harbor freight. Is that not a good choice to use that?

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We really need a sticky for MIG Welders...

Here is my suggestion:

Take a serious look at Miller Electric and the Millermatic 211.
    This unit will possibly be the first and last MIG welder you will ever need for home, hobby and light industrial welding.
    It is set for 110 and 220V as it comes with Miller's MVP plug system.
    It also is set up to work with a spool gun for aluminum work.
    Keep in mind, you will always be able to find replacement parts / consumables for Miller products and service is Nationwide.

An alternative to this would be a Hobart , (built by Miller Electric), Handler 210. This is almost the same as the Millermatic 211 but at a lessor cost.

Lincoln Electric is a good but stay away from the cheap units sold at home stores and go for the ones sold at Welding suppliers.

6. allstar12316

Dec 6, 2011
    Manalapan, Nj
    I'm leaning toward te hobart handler 140. Any comments on them?

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I have The lil Hobart but mine is 15+ years old now, it's the 135 Handler, purchased it new...hundreds of rolls of wire have traveled through that thing and it still has the same whip/gun on it that it came with. Great lil welder for it's size.

8. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    I've had a Lincoln for about 15 years, no problems and love it

9. allstar12316

Dec 6, 2011
    Manalapan, Nj
    That's what makes it so hard! Some will say hobart and others say lincoln

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I've got the Hobart 140 as I need the 110V and it was recommended by a guy I took an "Introduction to Welding Class" from. Eventually I plan on upgrading to a 220V system but that will have to wait until I move to a new home in a couple years.