Need help and FAST!!!! 92 gmc 5.0L

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by bigblock665, Dec 10, 2010.

1. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Found them. WHat is this, a C1500, K1500, what? I have a brand new TPS for the C/K trucks, TBI and also a used one of the earlier type. It doesn't look like either are the right TPS for a 92 though. I need to know what model yours is. I also

I do have an IAC though and that does fit yours if it is a 92 C or K series GMC 5.0 TBI. It's a Trutech/Standard Motor AC1T which definitely will fit.

I think it would be like 5 bucks to send you this IAC...they are only about $28+ shipping new online though through rockauto. up to you, its yours for the cost of shipping only if you want it

Steve

2. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    c1500 i believe.. Its 2wd. My Iac was just swapped out and did not change anything so I don't believe thats the issue. The tps may be acting up or the pickup coil. How much do you want for the tps shipped? My tps looks like this one> http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Throttle-Position-Sensor/1992-GMC-C1500-1-2ton-P-U-2WD/_/N-iwqvaZ8vd0o?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=tps&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=3081_0_13147_

3. fueler

fueler Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Canada
    No, a dirty IAC does not throw a code.
    Did you soak the IAC in gas yet?
    The pintle should move freely in and out and also side to side. You will know it once you get it free.
    I would not spend any money on anything else until you clean it. Also a good idea to look inside your throttle body where the IAC seats and see how much carbon is in there.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5883650_clean-gm-iac-valve.html

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. fueler

fueler Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Canada
    Here are symptoms of a bad TPS.
    And a bad pick up coil 9 times out of 10 means your engine will not start at all.
    Maybe someone got mixed up and meant to say ignition module in the distributor? The ignition module and the pick up coil are right beside each other in your dizzy but I doubt it is either of them that is causing your problems.

"How to Test a Throttle Position Sensor?
    TPS are manufactured using switch, potentiometer and combination designs. If the TPS is not adjustable then it becomes mandatory that you check throttle stop and throttle cable adjustments. Their improper functioning could cause symptoms such as, poor startup of the car, inefficient response of the throttle of the car, or idle stop. Switch and combination TPS are tested with ohmmeters. In order to test a non-adjustable TPS such as potentiometer TPS, a voltmeter is used and the following list, describes the steps involved in it.

* You need to disconnect the throttle sensor harness.
    * Open the throttle valve manually and check the resistance between the terminal 1 and 2 changes.
    * Check the resistance in three different positions of the accelerator pedal.
    * You may record a resistance of approximately 10-ohms when the accelerator is fully, 2 to 10-ohms partially depressed and 2-ohms when completely released."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. steve_1978

steve_1978 Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    ontario canada
    on a side note to testing with an ohm meter if you do a complete sweep with the meter hooked up you should see a continuous change in resistance. if thare is an issue you will usually see a "drop out" which will be a sudden change in the resistance at one part of the sweep

6. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Make sure a fuel line isnt kinked anywhere under the truck. i had this problem on a beretta I had. Did you say you tried the maf sensor?

7. steve_1978

steve_1978 Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    ontario canada
    shouldent have an maf. itll be a speed density system. would only use a MAP sensor to monitor the engine air flow

8. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Ok thanks for the heads up... I didnt know how I should approach cleaning this little bugger... There is no way to open it up from what I can tell. So soaking it in gas is fine? Im sure I dont want to use something that might hurt it.

9. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Thanx again!:cool: Unfortunately iv replace all sensors except iac on the engine... Still we have same symptoms. Idle air controller moves freely but still need to soak it.

10. bigblock665

Apr 7, 2009
    NY
    Yes its a map and seems to function correctly.

joe