Need electrical advice.....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    ...preferably from an electrician with eyebrows. :) The girlfriend needed to put a new switch in her ceiling fan. I don't know what I did to deserve her but I'm not asking questions and I don't like to say no. Anyway, I took the fan down and managed to replace the switch. Evidently, this happens a lot as they knew exactly what I needed. The GF isn't a small woman and she had ripped the pull chain out of the switch.

Anyway, I got the new switch in and wired it exactly like the old one. Now, I can't get the light or fan to turn on. On the house side, there is the normal white, black and ground wire. On the fan there are matching wires plus a blue one. Anybody know where the blue wire goes? I thought it was simple but I'm not an electrician. Snakes and spiders don't bother me if I know they're there. I'm not particularly afraid of heights. Give me something to hold onto and I'm good. I got hit with 220 as a kid and ever since then, I really don't like electricity. Yes, the breaker has been checked and isn't tripped.

2. BowHunter

BowHunter Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Wappapello Mo, USA
    I'm not an electrician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! The blue 1 should be the power for the lights and should be hooked the the black hot wire.

3. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Connect the blue wire together with the black wire, usually they are separated if you are using dual wall switches.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    ^+1 the blue wire should have been tied to the black when you took it apart. Check that. Sometimes a wire slips out of the wire nut. Double check all your connections. Hope this helps.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Take a pic before tearing something apart. I can't remember stuff like I used to. I have the pic to fall back on if there is any question.

Zstar likes this.
  6. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 4, 2003
    SC
    The wires white and black are both hot on the switch leg. I was taught to put a band of black electrical tape to the white wire tying into the hot feed in and on the switch end as well. Bring the switched hot back from the other pole of the switch with the black wire to the blue and black hot sides of the fan wiring. If the one switch turns on both the fan and light then blue and black are both switched got. If she keeps breaking the pull chin this is probably how it is. Just google images for light wired for fan. Its not too difficult. Make sure all wires are cold that you are working on by turning off the circuit breakers.

7. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Its odd to me that just because the blue wire is disconnected, neither the fan or light work. So how did the fan/light work before? Is there just one wall switch that turned everything on? are there 2 pull switches on the fan?

You remind me of a buddy of mine who shouldnt go anywhere near electricity, but is still somehow drawn into it thinking he wont have to call me after he attempts to "fix" something. lol. his success rate is like 5% with anything electrical.

Just an fyi - its the amps that will kill you, not the volts. ;)

8. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Some breakers only move a little when they trip and have to be switched all the way off and then back on to reset.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    A college prof once told me: Volts are potential....Amps are reality!
    But, try touching a 12V, 20Amp circuit and compare it to a 440V, 20 Amp circuit and let me know the difference.

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    I'm a little confused - if the switch you're replacing is in the fan, didn't you turn the breaker off before taking the fan down? If you're just relying on a wall switch to think the power is off to the fan, I wouldn't. I replaced a fan in our cabin last year, that my wife's father had wired in the '70s. I just turned the wall switch off, and got a shock when I touched the white(neutral) wire(I survived, hardly the first time). He had wired it so "off" was applying 120V to both the black(hot) wire and the white(neutral wire), balancing the voltage across the motor. Apparently that was a thing back in the '70s. I rewired it to be more normal for today's wiring. Anyway, if you're worried about getting a shock, I'd suggest turning the breaker off, then still checking the hot and neutral wires with a volt meter.