Need car inspection info moving to DE

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by bmeyer, Oct 6, 2016.

1. bmeyer

bmeyer Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Pennsville, NJ. USA
    I will be moving to DE from NJ sometime in late 2017 early 18. Not familiar with DE Car inspection. Currently my Camaro is registered QQ (historic) in NJ (no inspection ever). Concerned my car will not make it through a regular inspection due in part to Lexan windows, exhaust dumps before rear axle, fuel cell in trunk, fiberglass doors, roll bar, etc. Looks like they have Antique but my car is a 72 and the cutoff is 70. Also Antique still requires it to be sort of "original" and requires a one time inspection. Any info would be appreciated.

2. MrAzzhat2U

MrAzzhat2U Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Lewes DE
  3. bmeyer

bmeyer Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Pennsville, NJ. USA
    No problem putting the windshield and rear window back but no way to do glass in fiberglass doors. Does DE use a DMV run inspection or is it done by licensed garage or service center like PA?

4. MrAzzhat2U

Jan 31, 2000
    Lewes DE
    It's done in a State owned facility.It isn't much of an inspection,they check lights,horn,wipers,etc.Don't need side glass,but if it's there,then you have to be able to roll it up and down.Seems like every year it changes.They do a drive on brake check which you drive the car over and that's it.

5. bmeyer

bmeyer Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Pennsville, NJ. USA
    Looks like I will need to start hunting down the parts I threw out windshield glass, windshield wipers, horn, etc.
    Is it an annual inspection or just once? That will make a big difference in how I reinstall these parts.

6. MrAzzhat2U

Jan 31, 2000
    Lewes DE
    If you go with the antique registration,then it will be just once.
    Older cars require it once every year.
    I might be wrong, but I think you will be able to get a street rod registration for it.That would be just a one time inspection also.
    When you get closer to moving,remind me and I can check for you.
    As I said before,It changes with the seasons here! lol!

7. bmeyer

bmeyer Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Pennsville, NJ. USA
    The Street Rod registration may be the ticket. Should be retiring at the end of 2017 so just wanted to get an idea of what I need to do. Would be real unhappy if I had to take it off the road. Nothing relieves stress like banging through the gears at 6 grand. Thanks for the info.