Need advice value of 1981 z28 32k miles original paint

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Aj74, Jan 9, 2018.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    get under the car and look around really carefully......particularly lower quarters and lower fenders, rockers....any sign of unusual overspray or bondo....Front of floor boards and floors in general. Don't pay for it and find out when you pull the carpet back the floors are gone.

Be realistic...your are going to need new body bushings, shocks, maybe springs, control arm bushings would be smart move....sway bar bushings, end links, a good going through the wiring....weather stripping may be shot....door hinges probably need replacing/repair...check rag joint and I could go on....

If this is a Mass car I find it hard to believe it was never driven in the winter....doesn't look like a 32k mile interior to me. I am skeptical of the mileage claim FWIW. That said for a rust free complete car whether the mileage is right or not $14k is pretty decent. You can find yourself into one for way more than that trying to get rid of rust.

2. Aj74

Aj74 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Hello thank you yes under the car has a bit of surface rust on exhaust axle control arms etc from sitting in a basement
    Very frustrating as the car could have potential

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Surface rust is no big deal on those parts....get another look at the floor pans. Sounds like it does have potential. The more you know the better negotiating position you have or comfort with the current purchase price.

4. largestar

largestar Member

Nov 21, 2017
    For reference, I remember buying these new for half that. Lol. I purchased an 81z, California car in really good shape with 60k on it. Paid 12k this year.

5. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    If the Floors, Quarters and the Lower Doors are rust free I think 14K is a fair price. That interior looks like it will clean up nice. If it were mine the first thing I would do is lose them wheels. It is getting real hard to find a Clean Unmolested late Gen-2 Z28, and if you do your looking at high teens or low 20s depending on color's and options...
    Mark

6. Aj74

Aj74 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Thank you I’m still contemplating the seller is being difficult

7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Show up with $10k cash in hand......show the money.....he will take the money when he sees the cash. you may have to go up a couple of grand, but money in hand always closes the deal...could start at 9 and work your way up. Just get in front of him, over the phone is never as effective.