Need advice on Hawaiian vacation...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for all the advice guys but I think we're giving up on Hawaii, too touristy, too many kids and expensive.

We'll just go a bit further and stay at an all-inclusive adults-only resort in the Caribbean like we're used to...if we can find one that's still standing. o_O
    Just the thought of having to deal with kids is a deal-breaker for me...even one's too many.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's the Hawaii Kai Towne Center car show in Oahu

3. muscl car

My Brothers back yard that is next to an open nature preserve and has wild boars and peacocks in his neighborhood

1027160745.jpg

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    We zip lined in Maui. Longest ride I’ve ever done. Ya gotta do that.

5. muscl car

That sounds like fun !!!

On Oahu they've got the Haiku stairs or Stairway to Heaven . this is a 3k ft climb up the Koolau mtn range to the Puu Keahiakahoe summit

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I don't know about too many kids on the Big Island or Kauai. I didn't pay for hardly anything on the Big Island (company incentive trip many years ago), but I didn't find prices too crazy on Kauai last year.

And my wife doesn't have a "Doctor Daddy" to help with the expenses...o_O

We actually chose to cover most of the major costs for our daughter and adult grandson (airfare, housing and car rentals).

We've been to many of the islands in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, St. Lucia and Roatan) and they are great (except for Puerto Rico - never going back) too.

But the Hawaiian experience is different - and I truly think you could enjoy it.

7. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Been to Hawaii several times. We stay on the North Shore of Oahu. It's quiet, awesome beaches and is quirky. 45 mins to downtown Honolulu. Go to the Pro Bowl. we did that one year. It does not have to be expensive. Rental cars are cheap...I got a minivan for $19 a day. Island hop on the inter-island cargo planes for $50 one way. We rent a house through www.VRBO.com We rented a 5Br on a private beach one year, andother year I got a small house on the water on the Eastern shore for $99 a night!..Shop at Costco on your way. Kick back, do some grilling and save $$. It can be expensive, doesn't have to be. SO much to do that is free or damn close. Hiking Diamond Head at dawn...incredible. Hiking Stairway to Heaven, priceless. Pearl Harbor, moving. Waimea reserve is so pretty. Turtle Beach..how cool is it to feed giant Sea Turtles from your hand?

8. Tru70SS/RS

Tru70SS/RS Veteran Member

The wife and I just got back from Maui 3 weeks ago. The weather was 85-95 with little humidity. It felt like Southern California weather. We stayed one week and miss it. It started to feel like home. I'd love to return again.
    Snorkeling, helicopter ride, luau, do all the standards. Downtown Lahaina has nightlife. But my favorite part was the road to Hana and driving thru the Upcountry. The views are amazing.

9. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We're currently back in Cabo and enjoying the weather...and the tequila! :lush: :smokin:

muscl car and Chevrolaine like this.
  10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    John

I'm glad you enjoy Mexico.

We'd rather go to the Arctic Circle than go to Mexico.

Oh, wait, we actually did that for our 35th wedding anniversary....;)