Need advice - FI and fuel delivery

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CHEVYTHUNDER, Mar 3, 2018.

1. CHEVYTHUNDER

CHEVYTHUNDER Veteran Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Germany
    I’m currently running a 383 (around 450hp) in my 81 and am toying with the idea of replacing my carb with fuel injection. Ultimately I want to go the LS route but those are hard to come by in Germany so for now I’m looking at systems like the Holley Sniper or FItech. Got a couple if questions I hope you can help me with.

- which of the current TBI systems would you recommend? Looking at driveability and ease of use more than anything else. The more set & forget, the better.

- since I’ll need a fuel system to work with the FI, I was thinking of going with a whole new tank solution. I’m looking for something that would also work or can easily be made to work with an LS engine if I ever do go that route in the future. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robin

Mike-78 Z-28 likes this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
  3. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That is interesting. I read that the stock fuel pump does not need to be replaced. So this is like a secondary fuel pump that bypasses the stock unit in the case of more fuel pressure or volume? I guess you would have to know if your set up uses a bypass regulator in the original system. If not then you need a bypass reg. Plus a return line to the tank. Does this Power surge unit have a a small fuel reservoir that it is uses to supply the Fuel system when needed? Like a self contained unit. Can you just do away with the stock fuel pump and run straight off the Power surge?

5. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2007
    aberdeen, SD
    I believe those units are meant to be fed from the stock fuel pump. They hold a small amount of fuel. They are designed to supply the needed fuel pressure to the injection system

6. BigBlock73

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    RobbMc PowerSurge: An Easier Way to Upgrade Your Fuel System

The RobbMc PowerSurge (PS) is a high performance fuel system designed to enhance rather than replace your stock fuel system. The PowerSurge is small (5" in diameter and 8" tall) but once mounted in your car, the PowerSurge works with your stock fuel system to support up to 1000 horsepower! (See chart below for horsepower ratings).

The PowerSurge can be used with carburetors or fuel injection, (naturally aspirated or forced induction) and installs quickly and easily. Unlike normal fuel pumps designed for high horsepower applications, the PowerSurge requires no changes to the factory fuel system.

• No need to change your fuel lines: Use your stock 5/16" or 3/8" fuel lines.
    • No need to change your stock fuel pump: Use your stock low performance fuel pump available at any auto parts store.
    • No need to replace the sending unit in your fuel tank: Use your stock 5/16" or 3/8" sending unit.
    • No need to sump your tank or install a fuel cell: Use your stock fuel tank with no worries about acceleration or cornering.
    • No need to get under your car: The PowerSurge can be installed in your engine compartment. Connect it to your stock fuel pump, your carb or fuel injection, your factory 1/4" return line, and a bypass regulator (see notes below). Then connect one wire to switched 12V power and one to ground. That's it. No crawling around under the car to install.

Because the electric fuel pump in the PowerSurge is submerged in gasoline, the pump is very quiet. Also, because it is submerged, there is no chance of the pump sucking air into the system during acceleration or cornering.

The PowerSurge is ideal when converting older cars to fuel injection because your stock fuel system (including your stock fuel pump) is retained. This not only makes it easy to install, it makes it very easy to convert the car back to original if desired.

Horsepower Ratings: The amount of crank horsepower (HP) each PowerSurge can support depends on the maximum fuel pressure required. The more fuel pressure required, the less horsepower that can be supported.

Fuel Pressure (PSI) Max HP (PS500) Max HP (PS750) Max HP (PS1000) Notes:
    7 700 900 1000 All ratings @ 13.5 volts
    Subtract 75 HP @ 12 volts

All ratings for gasoline.
    Subtract 30% for E85
    25 625 850 975
    40 575 750 950
    60 500 650 850
    70 450 600 800
    90 325 450 600
    Notes:
    1. The PowerSurge must be used with a bypass (return style) regulator. However, some fuel injection systems have an internal bypass regulator. With these systems, no additional regulator is required.
    2. For use with gasoline or ethanol. Not recommended for use with methanol.
    3. Not recommended for applications requiring more than 75 psi (90 psi intermittent).
    4. Requires the use of a factory 1/4" return line to the fuel tank. If not present, a 1/4" or larger return line must be added.
    5. Made in USA

7. BigBlock73

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    I used the stock vapor line that goes to the charcoal canister as the return

8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am using the Power surge with the Holley Sniper. The power surge was easy to hook up especially if you use high pressure rubber lines. I used hard lines and it was a bit more of a challenge getting the routing right.

I did a lot of research before I decided on the Sniper. I actually bought the Fitch unit and before I opn d it returned it to Fitch and bought the Holley. The best resource on the web is the Chevelles.com site (team Chevelle) and look under their EFI sub thread. There is a ton of information and they are very helpful. I signed up for that thread and post questions there.

-The sniper requires 55psi which is what the power surge puts out.
    -No return regulator required, the regulator is built into the Sniper.
    -I used the stock 1/4” return line on the drivers side.
    -Do not use the vapor line on the drivers side as there an issue with that side in the way it is plumbed in the tank. I can’t remember the details but I know I researched it throughly to come to that conclusion. HERE’S WHY....http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-efi/988538-sniper-return-line.html

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  9. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    My FiTech has been all right but their customer service absolutely sucks. I would go Holley Sniper or MSD Atomic if I did it all over again. I also 2nd going with a new EFI tank setup, will make your life easier in the long run.

10. CHEVYTHUNDER

CHEVYTHUNDER Veteran Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks for the replies, looks like I’ll go with the Sniper. Thanks for the tip about the Powersurge fuel system but I do want to replace the whole tank to also be future proof in case I go LS. Any tank recommendations? I see Holley also sells a complete tank setup.