Need a new grill - Thinking a Traeger Renegade Elite. Anyone have?

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by LADDTWZ, May 21, 2017.

1. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    So I find myself in the market for a new grill. We currently have a Char Broil infrared. I do like it. It's propane, small, and works well. It's about 6 yrs old and due for all new grates / burners as we use it a ton. Pretty much every weekend if it's not snowing out that thing is going. During the summer 5 of 7 nights we make something on it. I know I could just rebuild it which was the plan when I stopped into the local fireplace / grill shop in Kazoo yesterday afternoon.

Started looking at new ones just because and saw this new Traeger. It's a wood chip grill with auto feed. Sure seemed nice but it was $700. Not that that's a deal breaker but not what my original intention was. Came home and did some research only to find out there also a dang info commercial sell. Not really an issue but you know how it goes with those ad's.

Anyone have one of these?

http://www.traegergrills.com/renega...traeger+grills&utm_content=traeger+grills+-+p

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    image.jpg image.jpg Not really but I did make a new grill last weekend. Wore the one on the bottom plum out

3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I love a propane grill....it's just so perfectly consistent

my stainless Charmglow (Home Depot) is over 10 years old...I use it constantly

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I like to grill over a open wood fire have done this for years. do use oak and the flavor of the food is second to none in my opinion.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    That must be an RS grill with the side pieces for the turn signals. ;)

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    I dont know much about the Traegers, but i have seen similar that look cool, but at the same time might take a little bit more preplanning than a propane grill...like when you just want to throw something on quick and be done with it.

6 yrs on a Char Broil is a long time....i can never get the "big box brand" to last any length of time. Some one gave me an old propane weber a few years ago. it still lights off first click on the sparker, original burners....thing just keeps going. i have a rough time giving what they want for a new weber, but they sure do last.

7. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    THAT is my main hold back. Propane is hot almost now, need to research these a little more. But I do love the wood chip idea. I smoke a lot, but my smoker is big and firing it up for a dinner is just not convenient.

8. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Hasty Bake made in Oklahoma. Charcoal / Wood. Best grill ever ....100% stainless steel. The 2 fire pans raise and lower with cranks. I made the grill enclosure with welded 16 gauge structural studs and installed cement board and stone...The grille is a slide in insert. Unfortunately crazy expensive. Cooked 45 lbs of ribs on it at once !

Attached Files:

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
  10. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    Second Weber, was my first and only grill. I even bought a mini q model for camping. It's all I knew so figured it was decent.

I used friends grills and it burnt and cooked uneven, not like my Weber