NA9 charcoal canister help please

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by chevyles, Jan 30, 2018.

1. chevyles

chevyles Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Bay area, CA
    I've been prepping my '70 Z28 for a SB stroker engine and I'm almost done detailing the engine bay. I still have the original NA9 charcoal cannister but the new valve covers will have their own breathers and I'll be deleting the PCV valve and hoses as a result. That would leave the line on the driver's side that runs back to the gas tank as the only active line to the cannister.

What I'd like to do, since the car probably won't win any originality awards anytime soon, is just remove the cannister altogether and store it with some other factory stuff that has come off the car over the years.

So, my question is- can I just cap the hard line that mates to the hose that connects to the cannister? I don't know if that line serves a purpose other than to capture vapors for the emissions system. If it serves as some sort of pressure vent for the tank, I don't want to create issues in that regard.

Anybody with experience or expertise? Thanks.

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I would cap it and get a vented cap. Or as you said just keep it open. It just seems like it is an opportunity to get pinched or clogged and cause proems later. If you still have the NA9 tank I think it connects to the filler neck via the box above the axle.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Search this site for Camaro Emission System Info. There is a write up that might help. I like the Idea of a vented cap. Around here if a tube is left open too long some little bug comes along and plugs it for you.

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    budro6968 likes this.
  6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
  7. chevyles

chevyles Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Bay area, CA
    Thanks to all for the ideas and info.

Gary, I really like your solution. I was actually thinking about a rear diff vent cap that a friend replaced on his C5 Z06 Vette- very similar.

So does the part you used insert into the hose that attaches to the canister? If it's that simple, I'll definitely do it that way. Thanks.

8. chevyles

chevyles Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Bay area, CA
    Quick update. I did a search at Summit for case vents and came up with the Dorman Part #14689 in the link below. Since I couldn't figure out if it would fit, I called my local O'Reilly's store and they had one in stock. I snipped the end of the hose off and ran down there to eyeball it- looked pretty good. Once back home I found that it was just a bit to fat to insert into the hose, so I spent about a minute reaming the hose with a rat tail file and life was good. The cost was $4.30. Thanks again for all the help.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...bLI6AcJAHwbFJoUamlR7ry8w75w82VBxoCP4EQAvD_BwE

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Good solution.

On the other hand, that NOS eBay vented cap sure would have looked nice when you flipped down the license plate.