Mystery ticking noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by jnkman61m, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jnkman61m

jnkman61m Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Okeechobee, Fl

What will really suck is when I find the source of the noise it will be something very simple that was overlooked and should have been caught. Something very basic.

In addition to going back to stock rockers, I am going to look closely at the valve stem tips with a straight edge(thinking I already did this twice) and ensure that one of the tips is not out of square causing a rocker to walk sideways and slamming a pushrod to the side of the guideplate slot during a lift cycle.

Update as I can.....

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    So you're still running those Scorpion rocker arms? That's the very next thing I'd change. Yep, go with some stamped rockers so that you KNOW there's no extra moving parts on them. Does this 'tap' occur while revving in Park or Neutral as well as driving down the road? Does it occur only when under a load (driving down the road)?

3. kmontee

kmontee Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Pendleton, Oregon
    I didnt read all the post in this tread but I was thinking wrist pin. ?

I hope you find it. Stuff like that can be very frustrating.

About 25 years ago (ya, I'm old) I had a Datsun Pickup that I pulled the air injection pump off. I removed the air injection manifold from the exhaust manifold and plugged the holes with brass plugs. however I failed to remove the little short tubes that are in the exhaust manifold itself. The engine sounded like it was detonating all the time. No one could figuge it out. Not even the dealer. I finally figured it out by accident.

4. jnkman61m

jnkman61m Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Okeechobee, Fl
    I can hear it in park-neutral while revving and feathering the throttle, although the noise is more steady,pronounced and intense in gear and moving down the road. It is especially annoying when it reflects off of a road curb or closeby building along the passenger side of the car and it echoes back at me.

Pulled the roller rockers today, tomorrow AM I'm pulling the guideplates, putting in stock pushrods,self aligning stamped rockers and run the crap out of it.

5. jnkman61m

jnkman61m Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Okeechobee, Fl
    I was also thinking wrist pin or cracked skirt, pulled the engine out and back apart, there is nothing wrong in the short block area....

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    As long as the short block(rotating assy) is fine, I guess you'll find whatever the noise is at some point. If you do locate the source, post up what you find.

7. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    My money is still on a warped header flange between the 4-6 cyl on the pass side. or the 3-5 cyl if on the drivers side.

8. jnkman61m

jnkman61m Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Okeechobee, Fl
    I pulled both headers back off for the umpteenth time.

There is NO header leak causing this noise. Believe me, I WISH that is what is making the noise. The flanges are flat and the fresh header gaskets have a very clear imprint of the header flanges and the head surface showing a good seal with no carbon tracking/dark spots.

Which is not to say I dont appreciate the input, I do very much.

9. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    I didn't have time to reread through the thread. But, are you still running break in springs on the cam or are you running a roller set up? My thinking is the lighter spings might not be enough pressure for a high lift cam. Could the dip stick be touching anything in the rotating assembly?

10. jnkman61m

jnkman61m Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Okeechobee, Fl
    ZZ4 Roller cam in a factory roller block setup....LT4 Springs retainers and locks. Plenty of guide/seal/retainer clearance.

Ran it without the dipstick and tube installed, same noise and no signs of anything rubbing anywhere, and let me tell ya, I have LOOKED. As well as 4 other people looking.

Common sense would dictate that if there is no evidence of mechanical interference anywhere, it must be a pressure loss internally or the well mentioned header leak.....which I do not find evidence of, and cannot prove a pressure loss.

Again, I appreciate all the answers, ideas,suggestions.....it's up to me to keep after it until I find it or accidentally eliminate it by throwing parts and money at it.