Mystery Green Button under Dash

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JD Z, Aug 28, 2017.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

I turned the key on and turned the column and it didn't turn my back up lights on. I can see that the switch at the base of the column is moving left to right when the column is turned. Might have a bad switch or the bulbs...that's my next test.

Curious if the lights should turn on when you crank the column to the right or left? Should they with just the ignition power on?

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    You grab the outside of the steering column at the point where it goes into the dash. This part can turn about 90 degrees. Like I said, picture a column shift car and picture taking it from park to reverse. Rotate this and if the wiring is hooked up to the switch on the column under the dash like its supposed to be the reverse lights will go on-off as you rotate back and forth.
    And as for the cops, I got a ticket one time cause I turned the reverse lights on this way and forgot to turn them off. A cop pulled up behind me and in the dark it looked like I had my headlights on him. He wasn't amused.

3. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

And this turning on the backup lights should work when the ignition key is on and the lights are on, correct? Engine doesn't need to be running. I've done that and I can see how that column turn does turn the switch on the column...wires are connected to the switch, but still no back up lights. I'm thinking either a bulb problem or switch problem and will work on those two checks with the bulbs first.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Yes. Engine does not need to be on, but key need to be in on position. As a matter of fact, with the column sleeve turned you probably won't be able to switch the key off and remove the key. This is what forced folks into shifting into reverse before being able to remove the key.

5. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Thanks and yes, when I turn the column all the way to one side, the key won't come out. When I turn it back the other way, the key comes out.

6. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Ok, as far as backup lights, one was missing and the other burnt out. Replacing the bulbs and they work now by turning the column as noted. Thanks guys. A few problems overall on the lights to work through.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I have never seen one on the 2nd gen cars. Even then it would have been mounted it the glove box area. Open the glove box and push button to release the trunk. My 64 Cutlass had one that was vacuum operated.

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    They were after market, not factory installed.

9. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Maybe the dealers installed them? GM part no.994263 says it is for 71-77 Camaro as well as other models.
    Here is a link to an eBay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-71-77-CHEVROLET-GM-ELECTRIC-TRUNK-RELEASE-KIT-994263-GTO-CAMARO-IMPALA/171435352657?hash=item27ea57e251:g:Uj8AAOSwnDZT~HHB

They may have come on other models and just happen to fit F-bodies. I really don't know, but was interested in possibly putting one on my car. After snooping the web a bit and looking at the prices I decided I wasn't so interested. :)

budro6968 and Bandit723 like this.
  10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Or just hunt down where the wiring goes to get a better idea of what this thing does....