Mystery Green Button under Dash

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JD Z, Aug 28, 2017.

1. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Yes, yes.....good times.
    I did something similar. I mounted a windshield washer fluid reservoir with built in pump in the trunk and had the nozzle discreetly mounted under the back bumper. Didn't have enough power to get tailgaters so I ended up moving it to the passenger side aimed to the side. People on the sidewalks were easier targets.

2. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Hmmm. So my reverse lights don't work. What's the deal with headers and backdrive linkage? Not sure if any of that was done to this car. The button then would be used to turn the reverse lights on?

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    On 4 speed cars there is a rod type of linkage system that connects the transmission linkage to the steering column. This does two things. It forces you to put the car in reverse before you can take the keys out and locks the transmission in reverse (theft prevention) and when you put it in reverse it turns on the reverse lights. Think about an automatic car with the column shifter, but instead of the column shifter moving the transmission mechanism it is just the opposite. When folks installed headers, especially cheap ones the header tubes were in the way of this linkage, so it usually got tossed. You can manually turn the lights on and off by rotating the steering column sleeve by the gauge cluster or install a switch. If you look at the steering column by the firewall you will see a lever arm. This connects to the linkage that goes to the transmission.

'71StreetZ and JD Z like this.
  4. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

I believe there are aftermarket headers. This could be why my reverse lights aren't working. The car had an awesome sound, much better than my original in 1987. Hard to tell if they are cheap headers, but that green button was at one time likely for the reverse lights.

Now, I needed to take it in for the state inspection to get it licensed. I better figure out how to manually turn those lights on with the steering column.

5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Power trunk release?

JD Z likes this.
  6. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Looks like Dave is correct.

[​IMG]

I found this on a guys personal build site. (http://www.my1981z28.com) Other than the color the button looks the same.

JD Z likes this.
  7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Yep, that there looks like the button and the clip on it for the wiring. Thanks for the pic CamaroGP.

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I woulda just pushed it and hope it's not a ejector seat

9. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Was it on the build sheet ?

10. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    this must be why my reverse lights don't work how do you turn the column to turn them on?? I've been avoiding reverse in parking lots just in case the fuzz rolls by