Mystery brake line question...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by connorbe, Feb 19, 2018.

1. connorbe

connorbe Member

I'm currently replacing my brake booster and master cylinder, and upon removing the driver's side inner fender well I found this brake line that's just open. The reason I'm replacing these parts is because the MC was leaking, and I thought that was the source of brake fluid on the frame rails and beneath the car, but now I'm wondering if this brake line isn't supposed to be open and it has been spraying fluid everywhere.

I haven't been able to find a brake line diagram that has this included, however both front out lines and the rear out are accounted for, so I can't imagine where this is supposed to connect to.

Thanks for any insights!!

Image here: https://imgur.com/a/IsED1

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The picture doesn't show the line very well, but the end of it doesn't look like a brake line to me. I wonder if it might be a fuel vent line to the gas tank.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

gotta be the vent line

4. connorbe

connorbe Member

Interesting, this seems to be the concensus thus far and a little bit of googling looks like that's the case. Thanks guys!

Another question... I always had assumed that this open hose was for venting the gas tank, do you guys know what this is for? Pardon my ignorance.

Photo here: https://imgur.com/a/ogeGS

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

That is the gas tank vent line is right where you describe and strapped right next to the brake line going to the rear. A rubber hose connects to it and attached to the charcoal canister bolted to the inner fender (opposite location as the battery)

6. connorbe

connorbe Member

After a little more research it looks like this open line I just posted that ends near the manifold was for the AC, and was connected to the water pump. That makes sense, I'll have to delete that bad boy.

Thanks for all the help guys.

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

so a heater hose, not an AC hose

8. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

The rear brake line goes down there, I can see two lines at the bottom where they head under the car, but can't see where the 2nd line goes as it comes up. I can't see anything linking to the prop valve (the rear line goes in the end nearest the fender)
    Get under the car and follow the pipe to the rear. Both the vent line and brake lines will follow the same path. The brake line ends were the frame rail kicks up and connects to a flexi that goes to the rear end. If it's the vent tube, it will continue up the rail and then bend 90* and cross to the passenger side.

9. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

The brake line will have the spiral armor on it, the vent line wont.

10. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Taking a closer look, I can now see the brake line.

I concurr, this is the vent line.