Mysterious Relay and Wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sandiego74, Nov 26, 2017.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone know what this relay and connections are for? Definitely seems to be a non-factory item, but I'm not sure. Found this under the front seats and I'd like to remove if they are for nothing.

Driver's side:

IMG_2731.JPG

Passenger's side:

IMG_2732.JPG

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That is the magical 1974 seat belt interlock system used only one year because buyers refused to buy another new car if was in cars after 1974. That was the biggest mess the car manufacturers had made from the first car built around 1900 until 1974. (if it makes you feel any better, they have done much worse since then. :) )
    http://www.nastyz28.com/faq/interior/74interlock.jpg

3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I had a feeling that's what it was. Started realizing it was something from the factory when I saw the factory sound deadening covered some of it. Thank you for the help!

So I can simply cut it out, correct?

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Yes, it can all be removed, but you need to remove the underhood parts of it too, and then bypass the starter power so it works without the interlock. You probably should get a 1974 specific wiring diagram so you get it done as neatly and reliable as possible.

5. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    It must already be bypassed, because I've never had to buckle to seats before the ignition worked. Thank you for the help!