My wife got into a car accident this morning...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Feb 26, 2018.

1. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Glad your wife is okay, Aaron. Hopefully, things will go easier since everyone has the same insurance company. I'm sure the old couple freaked out. Hard to believe they didn't notice.

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    the rear bumper alone will cost $1300 to replace (ask me how I know). It can't be repainted since part of it was damaged that is not replaceable. They will replace the right-rear door (too much damage to repair), all the door trim, repaint it, repaint the front-right door and paint the right-rear quarter panel. The right-rear wheel will need to be resurfaced too. Then they will need to do a 4-wheel alignment. I bet it costs $5,000-7,000 to get done.

3. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The Deputy who went to their home said they had no idea they hit my wife. They definitely recall her waving at them and thought she was just being friendly, lol. But it shouldn't be a problem getting damages covered. It's all repairable and my wife is fine, aside from being a little sore. I was more amazed they didn't realize they had hit another car.

4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    55+ :)

5. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
  6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Glad to hear your wife is okay. That is pretty crazy they didn't realize they hit your car. I was actually in an accident this past Sunday myself. I was stopped in traffic with a car behind me. A young man rear-ended that car and it hit me. Fortunately no injuries and very minor damage on my car (my wife's collection of door dings and other small stuff is worse!). The car that hit me had a bit more damage and the driver of that car immediately started complaining about a sore head. The car that started it all is going to need a new front end including radiator. The young man who was driving immediately apologized and accepted full responsibility so I have to give him credit for that. Ironically, he told me his father is a driver instructor. Still a pretty inexperienced driver, less than a year. I'm pretty sure he will be a lot more careful when driving, at least for awhile.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    On the weekend and days off, I have a dash cam going. I don't do it at work for security reasons as I work in a secured area and cameras aren't allowed. I'm sure it freaks young drivers out as my car looks like an unmarked police car with the black grill (I don't care for chrome and black was cheaper) and the device in the windshield.

8. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2015
    aurora, co
    Well, barring any structural damage of course (doors closing properly, suspension tweaked etc...) and if a factory perfect finish isn't really all that important I have a few tools and the patience to make a world of difference.
    I just got an 85 Subaru XT for $450 because the previous owner hit a deer and put a series of huge dents along the drivers side and fixed the dents in two days.
    It's people with older cars that they care enough about to fix dents but would rather keep most of the insurance money for other things whom I would offer a little cheap, amateur body work.
    If someone finds it acceptable to drive around with a primer patch for a while, I'll spend a day banging and pulling out a dent for $100-200 depending on if I have to remove any interior pieces. I have only done a handful, but everyone I have done work for have been thrilled with the results and get to use the rest of the insurance money to pay bills or go on vacation.
    Those weld on stud pullers and a little bondo and sand paper can perform metal miracles :)

Smokey15 likes this.
  9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    If the other party's insurance wasn't covering all the damages (we were just told that yesterday) and we needed the extra money, then we'd do something like you are suggesting. But in this case we're going to take the vehicle back to a factory finish since it's not that old. :)

10. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    FYI, the total bill was at the low end of my guesstimate - it came in at $5300.