My Trunk Rod Installation Tool

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Bill70, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Bill70

Bill70 Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    My car came with the light torsion rods. Previous owner added a 3 piece rear spoiler but never upgraded the rod. I bought the heavier torsion rod and have read all of the how-to-replace posts. I still do not know how you guys are using basic hand tools (sockets, vice grips, etc) and winding that spring around. I've made several attempts but gave up. Today I looked around my garage for some scrap to make a tool and came up with a piece of square tube and a 3ft piece of rebar. The square tube had a hole at one end for slipping over the torsion rod and I put a 1/2" hole at the other end for the rebar. I put a hose clamp on on both torsion rods to keep the heavy one under control while I am twisting it. The length of the square tube extended out over the quarter panel and the rebar provided the much needed leverage. Worked like a charm on the first attempt and the best part is the rear window is not in danger using this method. Pics of the tool below. No pictures of the tool in action because I needed both hands!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. Dallas70

Dallas70 Veteran Member

May 26, 2012
    Dallas (Frisco) Texas
    Way to go! Brilliant idea! I'll do that in the near future as well. Thanks for the tip.

3. delete-Z

delete-Z Veteran Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Crawfordsville,Indiana
    bravo!!!! I really need to do this too!

4. Bill70

Bill70 Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am reloading the pictures since I have inadvertently moved them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just used a socket on an extension and worked fine and super easy.