My Starter is grinding (loud)when cranking!!!--any ideas??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 75LTCAMARO350, Oct 9, 2007.

1. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    When I go to shim the starter---Do the shims go on right under the bolt heads or between the starter body where it attaches to the block????

I don't want to screw this up ....if possible.....

Thx!!!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Shims go between the starter body and block.
    (They wouldn't change the position of the starter if they were between the bolt head and starter body.) ;)

3. THE KING

THE KING Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Wilmington, Illinois
    No one mentioned this

But, while your looking at the starter, take the time and look at the teeth on the flywheel. Turn the flywheel 360 degrees and look at ALL the teeth. You could have chipped, cracked or broken teeth causing the grinding also. I'm no expert by any means but I did have a problem with my starter engaging properly a while back. Not every starter is made the same. I had two problems. I changed my starter four times before I got a starter that would actually work in my Z. This was after starting with no shims to all the shims that came with each starter. Nothing worked. It was the machining on the starter where it met the surface of the block. After I installed the fourth starter it worked great and I didn't have to put in any shims !! When my buddy told me I might go through multiple starters until I found one that worked I thought he was nuts. Guess I was wrong !!

After installing the fourth starter, my buddy came over and we took a close look at the flywheel. It had minor chipping on the teeth where they meet the starter. When we got the fly wheel out, it was cracked almost all the way around the center. Don't know what caused that but I would guess all the grinding and hard engagement of the starter didn't help. Just a thought, you might as well do a quick inspection on the flywheel while your down there.

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Another thing to check is to make sure that the flywheel (flexplate) and the starter are for the right tooth combo.

5. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Ok shimed it. Got it sounding a little better. Still has some vibration and sounds like a model T cranking, but it does start!

The flex plate is worn...has some teeth chipped and some teeth worn out more than others. Do you think I can just leave it like this? Than when It gets worse just change the flex plate and get a new starter??

How much does it cost to change the flex plate??

Thx!!! everyone!!!

6. THE KING

THE KING Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Wilmington, Illinois
    Well

It depends on how bad you want to let it get. If it was me, I would buy a new flex plate. OEM will be roughly $35. If you decide to upgrade and say go with a TCI flex plate, it will be roughly $70. I personally upgraded to the better flex plate. The starters are not that expensive. I would buy a new one. If the new one doesn't work, take it back to the parts store and make them exchange for another new one. I would do this until you find the right starter that works and sounds correct. Once again, you may have to shim each one until you get the correct starter.

There's nothing like waiting until it gets worse and your on the road broke down somewhere with no way to get home. What will you pay to have it towed? May be worth just getting it fixed now. But that's up to you. Changing the flex plate isn't that tough to do if you have the right tools.

Changed mine during a Bears game last year. But I also have a lift in my garage which made it easy to do. Well, the transmission jack also helped.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Agree - change the flex plate before it leaves you in a pickle. If the starter gear teeth don't show any signs of unusual wear, you might be alright there.