My silly 80 z, it thinks its a circle track car

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MrBigBlockDart, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MrBigBlockDart

MrBigBlockDart Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Chicago Area
    I just picked up this 80 z. The purpose was to steal the motor, and dump the shell. I spent some time with it, and its grown on me. I just got a quote to paint it, and the interior parts are coming together. I'm using my 11 year old son as a reason to keep it.

The story goes like this; the owner had 4 super late model race cars. His son wanted a car at 16, so they bought this as a roller, and it got all of the cast offs from the race cars. It has solid mounted motor, with a mid plate and no trans crossmember; howe radiator, shoenfield headers, afco rear shocks, super t-10, with a lightweight flywheel (12 lbs) and light clutch (11 lbs) for a grand total of 23 lbs back there. The wheels are Basset, with 1" lugs like a stock car. Battery in the trunk, 8 point roll bar (nasty). Some race aluminum pully's like I've never seen. Look at the motor shot at the alternator bracket!?! It supposed to be 10.75:1 compression, with a 525 solid cam, eagle rods, good crank, mahle pistons, roller rockers.

The dash is also crazy, monster tach, shift light, monster speedo and 4 more white faced gauges, on a custom part that looks like it belongs in gravedigger at monster jam.

It revs like nothing I've ever driven, it will pull 7500 rpm right now! It has 3:08's and still bakes the tires. I want to go to a 3:73, but I need to get it painted. (black) Really fun so far.

I'd love to hear some feedback.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. That looks like a nice project car. Do you know were the altenator bracket came from?

3. MrBigBlockDart

MrBigBlockDart Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Chicago Area
    It might be made by sweet: I think thats who makes the powersteering pump that's in this.

4. Most all of the Sweet brackets are red. That dosen't look "finished" enough for a sweet bracket.

5. Camarocore

Camarocore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 18, 2006
    NY
    heheheh send that motor to here :eek:

6. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL
    That thing looks like it came out of a Mad Max movie! lol

7. MrBigBlockDart

MrBigBlockDart Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Chicago Area
    Driving it feels like I'm in a mad max movie. The t-tops are great for the passenger to stand up and shoot people with a handheld 50 cal.

It's too much. But I like it.

8. Red70Camaro

Red70Camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Goshen,IN
    I can't remember seeing a Camaro with headers like that, do you know what brand they are?

9. The header are made by Schoenfeld

10. frozenbowtie

frozenbowtie Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Go for it man.....nice project...you can call it MARO DIGGER.....[​IMG]