My shop

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 71Rocks, Sep 30, 2014.

1. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    That's going to be one big shop !!

2. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    The shop is 32' deep and 45' wide with a 16'x40' RV bay all the way to the left. I cannot wait to get it completed, I am so tired of working in a little corner of my garage trying to complete projects.

-Mark

3. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    That's going to be very nice!!

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    I don't understand the pads. Why are they in squares and then nothing in between? Inquiring minds want to know.

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The pad hasn't been poured yet, that is just the prep work being finished. The spaces between what I believe you refered to as the pads are where the concrete beams will be. Think of it as a waffle iron, what can be seen in the pics above is the form the concrete will be poured in, like the batter in a waffle iron.

6. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    Exactly right. There are 30 12" x 15' deep piers drilled and poured. The beams are 24"x32" (not 100% sure, going off of memory, plans are at home) run on the perimeter and criss-cross every 12'. We had to add a lot of dirt to level the pad site, that is why I'm having to do the slab this way.

BTW...there will be 5" of concrete on top of the "pads"...

7. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    The pad is poured, below are some pics of the pour;

Pumper truck setting up;
    [​IMG]

First two of eight trucks set up and ready to feed the pumper;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one thing that amazed me...the pumper truck was operated by remote control. In the pic below, the gentleman on the far right is the operator, the yellow box hanging off his neck is the remote control...ingenious!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They wrecked the forms yesterday and will begin prepping the ground for the concrete that will tie the shop to the existing concrete. Hopefully that will be completed early next week. I will post pics as the project progresses!!!!

8. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Congrats on the progress!
    You very seldom see a pumper truck around here. They woulda just drove right up to that and poured.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is looking good. The pumper trucks are pretty cool, I've seen a bunch around the neighbourhood the last couple of months as they were pouring foundations and driveways.

10. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Okotoks, Alberta
    That is a huge amount of concrete. Is it a structural requirement for the size of the building? Here we basically prep the ground flat with crush, place rebar and pour. This seems very involved.