My shop

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 71Rocks, Sep 30, 2014.

1. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    I am wrapping up the plans on my new shop. It will be 32' deep x 45' wide with 12' 2x6 walls and roof will have a 6/12 pitch. The shop is configured as 3, 15' bays.

Bay 1 will have a 10W x 8T garage door, scissor trusses (on a 4/12 inside pitch) and eventually a lift. This will be the bay the Camaro gets rebuilt in.

Bay 2 will be exactly like bay 1 except no lift. I will park my truck in this bay and also use it for maintenance on my vehicles.

Bay 3 will be the workshop portion of the shop. It will have a walk in door and will house all the shelves, workbenches, welder, compressor and that type of stuff. Bay 3 will have the regular, triangular trusses allowing for a 12' ceiling.

I want the garage door tracks to follow the 4/12 pitch, similar to this picture... [​IMG] This way the garage door will not interfere when a vehicle is on the lift.

I stopped by a garage door company today at lunch and tried my darnedest to explain to the lady how I wanted the tracks to be installed. She kept trying to sell me a roll up door instead. Finally she told me she never heard of installing a door the way i mentioned. Then I asked for the rough out dimensions for the 10x8 doors...she tilted her head sideways with a big question on her face. I did resolve one thing, I am not buying my garage doors from this company!!!!

2. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

lol Good idea, Shop elsewhere!
    Be sure to post way too many pics of the progress.:cool:

3. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    When I finish the plans I'll post pics of them. I still have to get the HOA to bless the plans, I'm not expecting any issue. They primarily look to make sure you're not building too close to property lines/easements. Then I can get the concrete contractor out and break ground!!!!

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    She was probably selling vacuum cleaners last week! Sounds like it will be a great workshop. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

5. Due North

Due North Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thunder Bay, ON
    I look forward to following this as I plan to build my shop in the spring... likely 32' x 40'.

6. BowHunter

BowHunter Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Wappapello Mo, USA
    32' X 45' and 32' X 40' NOT BIG ENOUGH TRUST ME !!

7. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    BowHunter,

This is my personal workshop, not a business. The 32x45 is what my budget will support (same bucket of money that will fund the camaro rebuild). I would really like to go bigger but this is what it will be.

Due North,

I'm hoping to finish the plans this week. I will try to post them on this site when they are complete.

-Mark

8. biggjay96x

biggjay96x Veteran Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Akwesasne NY
    I know what you're looking for i installed to same door tracks. can post pictutres if needed

9. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    You have some pretty big gaps in your OSB?

10. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2010
    SanAntonio Tx
    If you need any 6 ga. wire I've got 400 ft. of it. New, never been used. THHN - THWN -2 T-90 Nylon.