My shop thread, welcome to the MAN-sion .

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Bigdog, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Bigdog

Bigdog Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    I am glad we finally got a place to discuss shops/tools, etc. Thanks to Mark for bringing it up and thanks to Mike for setting it up.

I posted several of these a few months back but it was buried in the Texas section.

When I built my shop I had a hundred questions and had the help of several members here, but much of it was from catching a hint in something they had posted that I had a question on.

Thsi is my shop build form cutting the first tree down to where it is today, i still have a ton to do and am planning on building out the spare bedroom in the next month.

If you see anything at all you have a question on, feel free to ask away I will help as much as I can based on what I have built/contracted/bought/stole or borrowed over the last year.

Some..much of this will be cut and pasted so bear with my if there is some of it out of order or not making sense.

I went back and forth on exactly where to put it, but finally decided on sticking it ibehind the 2 big trees and cutting the 2 smaller trees down.

I forgot to get a virgin shot of the yard before I began, but Robin and I decided on exactly where it was to go and I had to cut 2 smaller trees down to get ready to pour the slab......Keep in mind the positioning of the 2 large trees that would be at the front of the shop, Hurricane Ike decided to take one of them with him on his visit to my house.:boiling:

[​IMG]

The 2 trees I needed to cut down...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then have the county come out and set the culverts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Then start with a BUNCH of dirt....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figured since I was doing this much work, then we could go ahead and put in a circle drive at the same time. We have never even used our front door since there was not a way to get to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Then bring in some MORE dirt and start on building up a 10-12" pad..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Now it's time to get a form built...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This 20x15' area outside of the main form is going to be an outdoor kitchen facing the pool and backyard.

[​IMG]

I will have a 20x16' room inside the shop for guest to stay in or for me to stay in when I am in the doghouse. Complete with toilet, shower, sink, window a/c, etc.

[​IMG]

5. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Notice the date on the pictures and then think about Hurricane Ike, The concrete guys were lined up to pour the very next morning but cancelled when Brazoria Co. went on evacuation orders !! I was sick, I figured the form would have to be completely redone...

[​IMG]

Here is what Ike left me to deal with, remember the smaller of the 2 large trees I left at the front of what would be the shop? That is it laid down on the ground. But luckily, no real damage to the form, a bit of washout but the guys showed up a couple of hours prior to the concrete trucks and had it ready in no time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a week on the chainsaw clearing the yard it was back to work with my helpers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Then FINALLY we are ready to pour...Had to pump it all in vs trying to move the heavy trucks around the edges after all the rain from Ike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    The FIRST truck !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Almost done, but no concrete pour would be complete without the kids prints in it !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finished smoothing it over late into the evening and had a bunch of cold beer to seal it in.
    Got up the next morning to wash it down and cool it off a bit.

[​IMG]

Ahhhhh.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watch out, don't slip.
    [​IMG]

With the slab done, we decided to hang out in the shop ! Who needs walls ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bigdog

Jun 30, 2006
    Lake Jackson, Tx.
    Time for steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bigdog