My Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Plant Engineer, May 17, 2017.

1. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    The ignition will still work even with a little voltage drop, some control modules are not happy if you drop to 11.999 volts. Maybe try a relay to feed the module from fused battery power using the key switch feed to trigger the relay? What you describe does sound like a loss of power or ground, if you were local I'd swing by to check it out. I'm one of those people who loves to figure out solutions to seemingly impossible problems lol.

2. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    The ignition is controlled from the Fitech unit.
    I have gone through and rewired the full time power and keyed power away from the factory front end ( questionable ) connector and directly to the injection harness. Between that and the spark plug wire isolation and moving the electronics inside the cab if this has ongoing problems I'm chucking it up in the skeet launcher and 12 gauge it. OK. Its cost $1500 and I'm not going to do that. It'll go back to fitech. Its already been there once for a cracked base plate and they had it on their machine and tested it fine so I'm leaning towards power issues or MAYBE electrical interference like they say it could be. I'm hopeful.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Beverwijk, Netherlands
    nice project ! im following it

4. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    And the 540 is ( mostly ) finished. Ive got to configure the distributor then I'm molting the transmission up and making a stab at sticking it after work.

[​IMG]

5. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Ready for the drags tomorrow.

[​IMG]

6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Awesome. I hope the fuel injection has decided to behave from now on.

7. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Who knows. I was ready to take it out today for some testing but the rear pan seal was leaking like a sieve and I had to pull the engine this morning to change the rear main seal and silicone up the pan gasket. Spent all day getting back in the car and ready to run and getting hte front end bolted back in place . Finished up at 8 PM. Did some garage testing but it hasnt even been out on the road yet. Last race of the year so Ive been busting my ass just to get some times.

8. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Just took it out for a drive. Considerable more seat of the pants but that may be because my 3400 stall converter is now a 4200 stall converter. Runs smooth as silk. Off to the drags this morning.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  9. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal