My new 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jkhall, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    so, test fitting the engine...

I got the motor mount bolt in the driver side. Passenger side is having problems lining up. This is just test fitting.
    upload_2018-2-10_13-29-12.png

I need to address the accessories. I had to take off the A/C and mounting brackets the engine obviously as they were on the lower passenger side. I am leaning towards LS Simple bracks like in this picture.

upload_2018-2-10_13-27-32.png

I am open to suggestions though...

Attached Files:

2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    I'm using the LSsimple ones on my 5.3. It made better sense for me.

3. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    ***Update***

I have finally aligned the motor mounts and tranny mounts to get it to all fit.

I won't lie, it was a bitch to get the lower mount aligned with the upper mount and have the transmission cross member align up to the tranny mount. it took me a lot more time then I thought it would. * IF * I would have followed the directions that came with the mounts it would have saved me time. Damn directions.

The LSS alternator mount is here. I like the way it looks.

I have continued to hesitate to purchase the Vintage AIr system. I keep getting close and then wait. major hesitation now is that I dont like their compressor or bracket. Speaking with LS Simple he brought to my attention the old style compressor they use. I have reached otu to them to see if they can sell me the complete kit - the compressor and I will get LS Simple bracket with a V5 Compressor.

I installed the custom works performance 2G springs with Bilstein G5 shocks in the front. I am concerned about my header clearance. Anybody use this setup before and have issues? Time to start putting the front end back together. By chance, anyone has a nice step by step in this process. LOL

Here are the pics I am sure people would like to see. It's not perfect, but its what I can do.

Attached Files:

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    That is looking very nice!

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The custom works springs had my car sitting too low. I will bet you need a 3/4” spacer which will raise your car back 1.5”. You are probably sitting around 12” center of hub to fender lip which I know you can’t measure now. You don’t have all the sheet metal on or AC equipment in and I assume a bunch of other parts, you wil only sit lower once that stuff is on. I have a small block with Aluminum heads and Intake, an aluminum radiator and a Sanden compressor which weighs waaaay less than the stock A6 compressor.

I suggest not using the spacers that sit on top of the spring, there is only room for a 1/4” spacer, get an aluminum or poly one that is molded to align with the spring and fit in the lower pocket....

6. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

I got my spacers today and will install them tomorrow or the next day.

I also received my Radiator and Sniper EFI Fuel tank. The first thing that came to mind is "shit" I still have to assemble everything. I know I was asking for a lot, but I wish the fuel tank would have been assembled. There are some things I just don't want to hassle with. intresting its a tanks inc tank that Holley uses. I guess I missed that part.

The Radiator is from speed cooling. Its a small fortune as well. Living in Florida though I didn't want to take any chances with the cooling aspect of this build.

Attached Files:

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Update 3-18-2018

after lots of work . I have my doors, fenders, upper valance, and hood on and mostly lined up pretty well.

I also got my new stand alone harness in.

Attached Files:

8. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    a little more work today. fitting the front end peices. Nothing fitting well. I hate OER. aftermarket sheet metal sucks. Makes me want to toss my tools and scream most of the time.

Attached Files:

9. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    #3 engine lift brackets for intake manifold.
    #4 rear bracket for throttle cable on a Rochester Quadrajet carb.

10. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Belton,TX
    Just throwing it out there, an LS swap is only as expensive as you want it to be. I understand the older generation hears about how expensive it is and how you have to buy this brand new and that brand new or that brand. Along with thinking that a 250k mile engine is "too many miles" and needs rebuilt. All of that is false. i had a carbd 5.3 with a th350 in a 72 Monte Carlo and i was into the whole swap maybe $1500. I also had a 78 Firebird with a lq4 (uknown high mileage) with a th350 and the guy i got it from said he spent maybe $1800 to do the swap and that car hauled ass, got great gas mileage, and started up every time. Now i also understand i am in a different category when it comes to swaps as i don't build show cars and i don't care for the pretty engine with the pretty brackets etc.. I prefer function. Ill be doing a swap in my 70 Chevelle that i have posted on here when i get the funds and i may be in the $2000s on the swap when i do it just because i want to go with a complete 6.0/4l80 but we'll see. Anyways just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there. LS swaps all started off of guys taking a junkyard 4.8 and putting twin turbos on it and thrashing it, just something to think about..