My new 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jkhall, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    My father in law is retired from Chrysler and I get the "REAL" family discount. Sleep well at night knowing that I traded in my 2015 Challenger SRT for the charger... With the goal of my 1971 Camaro will look better, ride better, be 1000lbs lighter and make more horsepower.

I painted the car yesterday day. I used single stage gunmetal color paint. 3 imperfections (minimal orange peel) and I see an area I could have done better in the body (small high/low visible). NO worries though. in 24-36 hrs, I will 2000wet sand then 3000wet sand. cut buff polish and see where I am. I plan on assembling and if need be once the car is functional and running I will scuff with 600grit tape and final coat 1 more time in a better air controlled environment than my garage for a close to a perfect finish.

I will attach a pic of the painted car. I will lay the fenders in place (not bolted on) Its a weird color right now. I have all but decided to go with matt black for rims, bumpers, chrome etc. I still need to paint the RS front end.

2. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Interesting use of an engine puller in the background isn't it?

I find it easier to get it into position with it. After they were dry I took it out for a nice Florida sun tan.

Attached Files:

3. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
  4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    It's looking really sharp! I've got the Muscle Rods engine mounts and transmission cross member and they look and so far fit great in my subframe.

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    That was a good color choice. What color stripes are you putting on it? Black would look really good.

6. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Yes going Black for stripes.

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    2/3/2018 Update.

Today I installed the SPC Upper Control arms, tall upper ball joints, Lower ball joints, Hochkis front sway bar, and all new steering parts ( center link, idler arm, tierod arms, and sleeves). Pictures to follow on these.

I also inventoried my parts. When I purchased my car in November the guy handed me 4 totes of small parts. I have finally started going through them. Its been a long week. There are some parts I just dont know where they go or if they were for my 71 Camaro. I am posting a pic of those items. could use help identifying them.

Attached Files:

8. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    The new sway bar is massive compared to my old one.

Attached Files:

9. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    my work today.. I was so tired, when I finished the driver's side I just noticed I missed swapping the old motor mount for the new one.. dammit, now I have to swap for the LS motor mount tomorrow morning.. :(

Attached Files:

10. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Pic #1: trunk floor reinforcements/gas tank strap supports
    Pic #2: RH lower dash support
    Pics #3 & #4: not sure right now
    Pic #5: top is center upper dash support and bottom is LH lower dash support (can't remember if top of e-brake assembly attaches to it)