My new 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jkhall, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Bore and stroke I should have said.. to validate its actually a 327 and not a 305 or 350.

2. Argyros71

Argyros71 New Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Oh thanks!! its a work in progress, but I can understand where shes coming from you lose track quick and im at a point where I stopped counting and just have no choice but to finish it now. :)

Good luck im sure it will turn out awesome!

3. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    * Update*

I thought i had time to put in some suspension work before putting the engine and tranny in but that's not going to be the case. I spent the money elsewhere this month.

I decided to add on to the already awesome LQ4 w/LS6 intake and purchased GenX 220 heads and sent them to the builder. Which come to find out required some roller rocker arms and different pushrods. Add that with a BrianTooley Racing Stage 3 LS2 cam and we have a few more ponies under the hood.

upload_2018-1-11_11-40-52.png

So, I purchased the Headman LS engine and tranny mount and Headman Headers. Then I started thinking about what I was going to do about gauges. Then I saw that Painless Performance Gauge Controller was onsale for $159 and well. that happened.
    upload_2018-1-11_11-44-10.png

While I am waiting for the engine and tranny to be delivered in the next 5-6 days I started thinking about the shifter. And well, as I dont have a shifter to even start with I looked at buying a shifter and getting it setup to ratchet for the 4 speed I came across www.shiftworks.com and decided to get their whole kit for the 4L60e tranny which even comes with the cable and swings factory length with ratchet detent for $425...

upload_2018-1-11_11-46-44.png

I also didn't have a dash pad to even put the gauges in so I purchased NPD's exclusive pad. I am praying its not as bad as OER's. I will write a review on it if nobody has done it yet.

The weld for the rear quarter is fixed and the body is being finished up. The one thing I am thankful for is, it was already a rust free car. I will take some pics this weekend, It was cold even here in Florida. Brrrrr

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    It sounds like you're making a lot of nice parts purchases for it! It ought to be pretty quick when done. Do you use auto meter or what ever electronic gauges with the painless gauge controller?

5. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I am going to use Dakota Digital VHX white gauges. And yes I know Dakota Digital has an interface addon box that will connect to the ODB /CAN connector but it owns the ODB port. the Painless lets you attach another device as well and I want to connect my Bluetooth reader at all times as well. Its flexibility is why I decided against the Dakota reader and went with the painless.

I am planning for my 3k budget in February right now while I install the current parts this month.

I want as wide of a tire I can get in the back. I have been researching if a 285/40-17. I would really like to go to a 305 wide tire if I can get one in there. I don't have an issue with beating the seatbelt hump in if I have to for clearance. I need to figure that out sooner than later. I prefer not to mini-tub the rear, but if I have to I will.

6. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I am also anticipating an accessory relocation brackets purchase. not sure exactly which one I need.

7. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    I saw on another forum Holley just released a really compact kit but it is sort of pricey. I'm going to use some brackets and spacer kit from LSsimple on my 5.3.

jkhall likes this.
  8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I got their adapter kit for the horseshoe sifter on my 71, to go with the 4L80e that I'm installing in mine.

9. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Latest update 1/22/2018

so I had not taken as many pictures as I should have, sorry I wanted to document for you as well as myself. But when I was in the groove, I had tunnel vision of achieving accomplishments.

ok, so updates to the whole project.

I have the rear passenger quarter fixed. Spot welded the panel correctly, and smoothed quarter. I also welded in the sail to roof fixed.

The OER RS front replacement is sitting in the boxes still. excited to open it up and fit it, but terrified how far off it could be.

The trunk deck lid was creased/ dented to the point I am considering replacing it with a new one from NDP. The Ocala Fl distribution center is 50 miles from me.

I ordered and received the NPD exclusive dash. it looks and fits pretty well. I am happy with that choice. I have the rest of the lower dash.

I ordered and received Hooker motor mounts and tranny cross member. The motor mounts were a big disappointment. I called Summit racing to verify I was ordering the correct one for my 1971 Camaro and they said they were a direct fit. When they arrived they were not. The perches(lower mounts) on a 1971 Camaro are smaller. In the directions for the hooker mounts, it says I have to replace my lower mounts for 1973 and up mounts. That kinda pissed me off as the mounts state they work with my Car. So I am replacing them based off of the principle of don't lie to me. Mounts and tranny cross member are being returned.

I ordered and received Muscle Rods motor and tranny mounts. I really like Muscle rods parts for LS swap. I am happy they were recommended to me.

I contacted no lift motorsports the company I ordered my LS4 from. It has BTR stage 3 cam, LS6 Intake, ls6 springs, ls7 lifters, new gaskets throughout (reseal) etc.. also comes with the LS FBody oil pan and 4L60E tranny with corvette servo etc. Anyways, I called them to get update about 10 days ago. They said they were about to bolt the heads on. In my grand vision of a 12 yr old, I asked them if I could send them some different heads to put on it and they said yes. 2 days later a new set of Trick Flow Research LS2 Fast as Cast genX220 heads arrived at their shop. not until I did research @ Trick FLow that I found out I had to swap the factory rocker arms for aftermarket roller arms and new pushrods. So that cost me 4 more days of having the shop order the terra 2 roller rockers from Brian Tooley and then the correct length push rods. To shorten this some, the engine is complete, And it is being shipped today. As soon as it is here, I will be measuring driveshaft length.

I purchased from shiftwork a horseshoe complete shifter that is made for a 4speed 4L60e. it arrived and looks amazing.

I ordered the headers ( hooker full length 2 7/8) and still waiting for them to arrive. I checked and they should have no issue with the muscle rod mounts.

And I am attaching pics of the car. Its stripped, motor compartment is painted along with upper dash area. the body is sanded to 400git now all is well. I sprayed paint on the fenders and doors this weekend. I hope to paint the body in the next 2-3 days.

I still need many parts but I am driving towards an April/May completion. I am ahead of schedule right now but that's just a buffer for the unknown issues I will have ( pieces I need to replace or never had).

Attached Files:

10. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    Im hooked, A little concerned about 2 Dodges in the drive way though.:bowtie: