My new 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jkhall, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    OK I got it off now. And yeah, they rape you in tax's. Sheesh. I travel quite a bit for work. Tomorrow I am off to WDC for a few days and next week I am in Sunnyvale Ca. for work.

2. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

Your 71 looks great. I am in Dade City Fl. My wife gave me a 20-25k budget and less than 10 months to have this finished. I am going to be tight on the budget. I may have to kick this out in phases. so little time and money, so many wants.

3. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Posting updated pics soon. I have the engine out, fenders and hood off and sanding down the ugly paint that was done to the firewall before I purchased the car. The OEM RS front end has arrived but still in the box. dreading the mods I will possibly have to make to get it looking good.

in regards to my powerplant. the 327 with dead tranny is out and still attached to the engine puller.

I have decided to order the new drive train from www.nolift-motorsports.com/

Engine: 100K Mile Lq4 with the following.
    1. Stage III Cam 231/242 .617"/.592" 112+2
    2. Fbody conversion oil pan
    3. LS6 valve Springs
    4. LS7 Lifters
    5. LS9 Headgasket
    6. standalone wiring harness and ECU tune.
    7. new gaskets, checked bearings, ec.

Transmission: 4L60 with the following.
    1. monster 2300-2500 stall converter
    2. Corvette 1-2 Servo upgrade
    3. new seals

Both come with 6-month warranty.

I 'WILL' be ordering a Fast LSX-RT intake with a 102 throttle body mid-January when the engine gets here. from my math, with my hood I should have enough clearance.

remaining LS conversion needs I think are..
    motor mounts: Thinking Hooker
    Transmission cross member: Thinking Hooker
    Headers: Thinking Hooker
    Fuel Tank w/Fuel pump: thinking Holley Sniper EFI fuel tank but maybe the Tanks inc ..
    Radiator: 2000-2002 Camaro Z28 radiator and fans ( I know, I went cheap.... I will probably swap them out after I get the car running and I want better looks, but to get it running I want to save $750 up front)
    DID I miss anything????

Here I have some questions, maybe someone has looked at these..
    rear disc brake conversion. has anyone seen this? Any thoughts? (Right Stuff Detailing Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kits AFXRDM5)
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIy6idpZLh1wIV0bXACh1zewr0EAQYBCABEgKi-_D_BwE

Power brake conversion kit (I have front disc and rear drum brakes but no power booster on the car) Summit Racing® Power Brake Conversion Kits SUM-760216
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIgrvmjZLh1wIVjrbACh0smQF3EAQYASABEgJL-_D_BwE

Any thoughts, concerns, comments on them would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    71RSLS likes this.
  4. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I did some more sanding and cleaning under the car.

I have one issue right now, the passenger side door wont open. I read that if I was to jack the car up under the door it will solve the problem but thats not the case. if anyone knows a trick to open a door that appears stuck I am all ears. FYI its not contacting or rubbing on the body at all.

other then that, I am hoping to get the engine bay painted by this weekend and the window and dash area.

Here are current pics of the car, engine as its sitting, fenders I am sending off to get media blasted along with hood and doors.

The old front is not being used, as I purchased the OER RS front end. I have 2 spare full length bumpers as well ( adding the pic of them). The 327 and tranny are up for grabs as well as I have them being replaced by an LQ4 and 4L60E.

Attached Files:

5. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    The body work is looking very nice! Your car will be killer when done. Is your old trans a saginaw?

6. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Good Eye... Yes, it's a Saginaw.

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    so, the passenger quarter panel needed more work than I was let on to believe. after further inspecting what I could visually see I decided to put my dustless attachment on my pressure washer and hit the weld seem with some glass bead. It took a while but well worth it.

To say the least , was not impressed with the previous welding work. So I am going to fix it as there are a few area's that the welds broke loose.

Once I am done with the welds, I will cover the weld line with dura-glas then cover appropriately.

Attached Files:

8. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

So,

Is your offer still on the table for help with the suspension? Its time to address that part of the car. The engine and tranny (Lq4 with upgrades and 4L65E) will arrive in a few weeks and I have decided to knock out the front suspension before installing the engine. I am north of you by about 25 miles by Dade City. Obviously, I am waiting until its not cold anymore. :)

9. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Yes, send me a pm

TC

10. Big Block Z

Big Block Z New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Phoenix,AZ
    What will checking the BORE going to tell you ?