My new 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jkhall, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jkhall

jkhall New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    yeah, those additional costs are what was holding me back on the LSx swap immediately as I anticipate body and paintwork eating 10k from me in the next 2-3 months easy. But I did see a few 4th Gen Camaro's on craigslist today with LS1 engine/tranny sub $4k. that would satisfy the engine, tranny, ECM, Wiring, etc. and the seats I need...

I am outside Dade City Fl..

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Think about a Holley sniper vs. a carb set up. Will be much more reliable and easier to tune and maintain. In the hot weather it is nice to have something self tuning...

Enjoy your project!

3. jkhall

jkhall New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Good advice... thanks..

My end game will be an LSx. So even if I went Carb now, I would move towards a Fuel Injected in the future.

Does anyone have information of a good place from tampa to orlando to send it away to have the body and paint done? Any estimate what the finishes will cost for the body work and a good paintjob will run me?

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    Nice 71! I recently just got a 71 RS and I've been gathering parts to do a 5.3/Super T10 in it. I don't plan to restore it all this winter. Just get it reliable and drive able for this coming summer.

5. jkhall

jkhall New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    OK guys...

For the engine and transmission I "THINK" I am going to get one of the "Just Chevy Trucks/LSX4U" pitviper engines.
    "6.0 Clones of the Pit Vipers engine so you too can have 550HP on tap for transplants! We offer them as a "Stand Alone" Carbureted package with an Edelbrock or GM Single plane Carbureted intake, Comp Cam & MSD ignition box (as pictured below). The price for this Engine kit is $3500.00 "

http://www.justchevytrucks.com/lsxengineswap.html

I may put a holly sniper on it..

Thoughts?

6. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome car and I like your plan. I would caution the engine in the link unless they can give you a lot better info on what your getting. You might be better off buying a complete LS1 Camaro and taking everything you can get off it, keeping the fuel injection, seats, etc. like you suggested. It's easy to nickel and dime your way to a huge expense pretty quickly.

7. jkhall

jkhall New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    well I dont know how much of a plan I have. Right now I 2nd guess everything I am thinking. So I ordered Stacy Davids Projectplaning guide to stay on scope. "
    "

As for LSX4U they are pretty reputable. Been in a few large car magazines etc. I have emailed back and forth with them a few times. but.. would rather have a donor car like the one I am posting.

If this guy would get back with me I would probably buy his 99 Camaro LS1 " https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/d/1999-z28-camaro-ls1/6412508398.html " I will go and buy it tomorrow.. $2900 for a full car that is now off the roads.. can we say. Seats, 4L60E tranny, LS1 engine, wiring harness and ecu.. and then sell the shell to salvage for $250-500 :)

8. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I think you have more of a plan than you give yourself credit for. You know the paint is important to you and a pretty good idea on the power train as well as a pretty realistic expectation on costs, your way ahead of where I was at. :)

I'm not super familiar with LSX4U but that seems to be a pretty potent package, I wasn't sure what all was included with it though. Accessories and things like that can be really expensive if not included.

Hopefully that 99 LS1 owner gets back to you, that looks like a good deal. There might even be more you can salvage off it like fuel system parts and brakes although I'm not sure if 4th gen brakes can be swapped, I'm using 3rd gen 1LE fronts and S10 rears to keep it economical. I do have 4th gen seats and a 5th gen console though.

9. jkhall

jkhall New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    How does the 5th gen console look in the 2nd gen body???

I work in the I.T. field.. so I research a ton, but then the scope of work always shifts. One fortunate thing I have going for this build is the company I am working for was acquired and I have stock options that I can exercise monthly @ >$3000 a month for years to come. And my wife is cool with me taking the next 6 months worth of them and I have $10k in the bank towards this .... so I am hoping I can have the car on the road by may.

Being that I work and I do fly out of state every other week for a few days at a time I am going to outsource all body and paint work. I am really hoping I can keep that to 10k or less but I understand a paint job is as good as the money you spend on it. I am hoping I can get that camaro as that will probably save me a bundle and ease my fears of my wife saying I told you so 6 months from now. and really, I think thats what worries me the most. My wife being right. LOL she says it will take me 12 months... and that much money. Grrrr

10. jkhall

jkhall New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    If anyone lives in florida and wants to trade body work for some firearms. I am also a licensed federal Firearms dealer/manufacturer. I have my own line of AR's.. :) or if you have parts I would need or a spare LS engine ;) I have rifles.. lol willing to trade :D