My LQ4 Swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by TheMeat, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    The plan:

Iron 6.0 LQ4, 317 heads, custom cam, Bw S480 1.32 AR, and E85.

-Plan changed!

Car with the wheels photo chopped showing black spokes. They are currently all polished..

[​IMG]

The old 406...sold.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    I was able to get a great deal on a local 2001 LQ4 complete with wiring harness, 4L80E, PCM , driveshaft, and all accessories. It was in a work truck still running an driving. The owner decided it had too many miles and bought a newer pull out to replace his. The engine has not been cleaned yet and is all stock. I am doing mock up on it now so please disregard the filth!

I used carshop 1" set back plates to mount the engine into the Camaro. I am going to use the factory truck accessory drive and intake. The manifolds are off a 2010 Camaro and of course flipped to see how they will work for a turbo set up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I located a used hood that has a L88 scoop on it to use and allow enough clearance for the truck drive. This saved me the hassle and expense of trying to find a F-body accessory drive and a car intake.

Also, after months of searching, I found a local used F-body oil pan. The truck pan does fit the cross member but hangs below it. I found a few threads that showed individuals modifying the truck oil pans by taking a 2" center section out of the pan and re welding the bottom to it.
    Here are some pics illustrating the modded truck pan...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I considered doing this but a f body pan finally showed up!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    I also removed my factory AC 'suitcase' on the firewall to allow additional down pipe clearance. I want to eventually go to an aftermarket ac/heat under dash system.

It was a hard decision to remove the factory AC as it works perfectly! But the turbo I want to run has a 5" discharge and I will need all the room I can get.

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    TheMeat it looks like your off to a great start. I am so far away from where you are at now. My car is still on a rotiserie waiting on mini tubs ,weld in frame connectors, smoothing the firewall and paint yet. Are you going to use the factory exhaust manifolds? I definitely will watching your build. I like your plans.

5. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    Yeah, I hope to use the manifolds after some slight modification.

Looking at their placement, I think I could even do twins without issue:crazy:

6. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    Took the car in to see if the turbo I had picked out for my goals could fit....I won't. So after turning it every which way we could and looking at plumbing options, we held up to small units for a set of twins....winner.

Looks like I will be doing twins now as they actually packaged nicely. A little more $ though.

7. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    It is only money :D

8. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    Yeah, that's what my wife says when she's shopping, "It's only money. He can always make more!!" :happy:

9. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    Well, due to budget changes in fiscal 2013 my swap has changed directions with its power goals and part selection!

Gone from the list are forged internals and turbo.

We are now on the "How much power I can make from mostly stock sh*t" train!
    \
    With that, I've already acquired a complete LS2 rotating assembly with ~27K miles on it. The flat tops of the LS2 pistons will increase my compression ratio and the LS2 rods are beefier than the 2001 LQ4 rods I removed today. Plsu, I can recover some funds by selling the rotating assembly that I removed.

I'm considering purchasing a set of 243 casting heads and selling the 317 castings. Dunno yet as I am on the fence.

So, huge change in overall budget which initially bummed me out but, I think the "hot rod" approach to this build will be more fun! I hope to get 450RWHP through an auto. Hope is the key word here.

10. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    I am with you on the same decision on the turbo stuff, Its very pricey. I may still build my LQ4 for the turbo and run a low compression motor till I get the turbo.