My latest, '75 LT project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jester0618, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Radio

Radio Member

Oct 9, 2013
    TULSA, OK
    Our cars hopefuly be done about the same time. going to have to make a visit for a cruise!

Lookin Good

2. jester0618

jester0618 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Got the quarter panel installed!!! Well, clamped on at least. Things have lined up very nicely except at the bottom to the trunk drop but can make adjustments for that. I'm really happy how well this quarter fit. With any luck, it will be welded in place this week. Of course, I need to start researching how some of you closed the gap at the roof. I don't want to lead it, nor just put filler. I want to metal fill. Time to search!

3. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    I know when my body man did both my quarters. He put metal plates in there to fill most of the gap and then did a little filler to feather it out.

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    I added two plates of i think 20 guage sheet metal and then leaded. The space was drasticaly reduced with the added structural support of fully tieing the roof panel to the sail panel of the quarter. Just be carefull and go slow its easy to warp the sail panel doing this.

5. jester0618

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Wow, that week was long. Finally welded in place. My plug welds are still rough so grinding some is necessary. All will be hidden in the end and it's solid. I've decided that it's going back on the rotisserie to do some of the welds. Upside down for the wheel wells isn't fun. The driver side will not get a full panel either. I'm going to try the patch route. I think there is enough solid metal to avoid cutting it all out, plus, the skin the PO did looks great.
    Anyway, this week should be final clean up and then epoxy to protect. Time to make tracks!

6. jester0618

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    [​IMG]

Quarter all welded in. Hopefully on Thursday I'll lay down some epoxy on it. Overall happy with the fitment of the quarter. Took some adjustments, trimming, etc. but nothing unusual. Drivers door is on, and mostly lined up to start cutting for patch panels on other side. Hopefully it doesn't take me 5 months to get that side done.

7. jester0618

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Need some advice. I still need to do the plug welds on the wheel lip, but doubt my skills at upside down welding and don't really want to put it back on the rotisserie just for some plug welds.
    Does anybody have any suggestions as to this? I'm going to take 4x4's and build some blocks to raise the car even higher to start, but am still nervous about trying to weld upside down.

8. jester0618

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Need help folks. I gave up on upside welding and turned into a grinder. I'm now removing the caked on bondo on drivers quarter. Turns out the PO used a full patch panel. I ordered a new, since I want but weld, not lap as they did. My new patch seems longer than the need (front to back). Has anybody done one where it was needed to cut the patch in half and remove some of the patch? I'll try to get a pic showing the issue later this afternoon, but any help would be appreciated.

9. jester0618

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Ok, I've decided to get a full quarter. The patch won't cover what the PO did, plus found rust behind panels that without removing the quarter I'll never get to. Tomorrow starts more cutting. Looks like rotisserie is on hold for a few months.

10. jester0618

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Got most of the quarter removed. Lots of dirt, bondo, double layered metal. What a hack job. Oh well, will be done right when I'm done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]