My heads are leaking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by RadRacer84, Nov 21, 2002.

1. RadRacer84

RadRacer84 Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Carmel, IN, US
    Alright, here is the deal. MY friends fathere wants me to take my car over to his house to show his grandmothere who baught him the same year and color as mine. The problem is that I have a leak in one of my heads and I don't have the time or the know-how right now to put on a new gasket. I saw some liquid gasket stuff that is supposed to work as a gasket to replace them. Does this stuff work? What if I just put it on the outside of the head? Or am I waisting my time and I should just fix it right the first time?

Any know how on how to take off the head ans then put it back on as well as retiming it? Any books that I could use?

thanks again,
    Matt

2. 79er

79er Member

Nov 3, 2002
    LA, California
    I never use gasket sealer, on any gasket. In fact I use white grease instead so I dont have to scrape gaskets next time it comes apart. I have never had anything leak yet because of it and sure saves time scraping gaskets next time. In fact I can usually re-use the gasket. Im assuming when you say leak that you mean exhaust leak. Sealer will not work. You have to pull the exhaust manifold/header and put the new gasket in.

3. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    Gasket sealer has it's place on a head is not one of them if your head is leaking coolant you need to get that fixed asap as coolant will get into the oil and ruin the bearings if it's an exhaust leak not a good idea to run it as it will cause damage to the valves

------------------
    Yahoo messenger ID archemedes74 feel free to add me
    Give blood play hockey!

4. dude1

dude1 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2001
    Hopkins,MI
    So is it a coolant or exhaust leak or what??
    If it's coolant, I'd take off the head and replace the gasket with new. Don't waste your time with a half a$$ fix. That does nothing but postpone the inevitable. You can save your timing by marking where the distributor is on the block. Make a mark on the distributor and on block. When you put it back in, line up the two and it should be very close. I would also replace the gasket if it were an exhaust leak.

------------------
    80' Berlinetta

"Careful what you wish you may regret it, careful what you wish you just might get it"
    METALLICA

5. RadRacer84

RadRacer84 Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Carmel, IN, US
    Thanks for all you'r help. I was working on the car yesterday and I think I solved the problem. I put oil dye in the enine and ran it the time period that I was supposed to. Nothing showed up. I tightened the head covers just a little before running it and it seems to be fine. later I took it to my hockey game. Still no leak that I could see or feel. If the problem presists I will most defenatly ask for your help once more.

thanks agian,
    Matt