My first powder coating adventure

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by olstyle, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

No, those are the deflectors. I'm talking about the Static Tubes. Sorta look like little cigarettes.
    Thanks for that tip though!

2. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Ok now I'm confused. never saw anything like that with mine..............

3. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

4. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Ok , I see. I got gun kit #10198. In my instruction book it does not have the step for cleaning the static tubes. If you got the same kit number, I don't think this gun has the static tubes.

5. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Laine,

Yes you need those 3 static tubes for your gun. I remember starting out with the Eastwood Gun and it had the 3 tubes you are talking about. I upgraded guns so I can do at least 5 coats with mine.

Guy,

I looked at that gun you posted but is it adjustable in kv settings. The reason I ask is that with 2nd/3rd or more coats you need to be able to adjust the kv settings lower. Just thought i would let you know.

6. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Thanks Rick. No it is not adjustable. When I put the 2nd coat on the valve covers it did seem to stick good though. This is the gun I am looking at for maybe my next one http://www.tccoatings.com/Red-Line-Industries-EZ50-Powder-Coating-Gun_p_93.html Fully adjustable from 0-50KV.

7. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Guy,

Save your money and get one of these systems

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/product_p/kk20univ.htm

I have 2 of these and they are so much better.

Only reason I have 2 is since if a do 2 different colors I don't have to clean the gun and tubes as much. ;)

I like my toys ...:)

8. olstyle

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Nice set up. Good price too, thought they were priced much higher then that. I just might wait to get this one. I have heard and read good things about these Kool Koat guns. I think you told me about them first ;)

9. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I would really like to see a Big Bumper done with that chrome powder coating.Keeping mine polished can be time consuming.

10. rydeer

rydeer Veteran Member

Feb 28, 2012
    south NJ
    If you use those little pieces you will be able to fill your gun 3/4 and have a good steady flow. I've been useing my hotcoat gun 4 years now and have some great work done. Also remember most of those chromes need a clear or they willl fade to dull gray. The clears tend to yellow it a litle bit.