My First Camaro - 78' Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by FermentedSpirit, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    ohm out the MSD if all is good keep them

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yeah as long as there aren't any signs of excessive resistance or cracked or melted insulation, the MSD leads will be fine.

However when you get a chance swap this clamp on eye terminal for a proper crimp on one, or a premade cable from the parts store. Those are really prone to failing and aren't a great electrical connection at the best of times.

3. FermentedSpirit

FermentedSpirit New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Next comes the wires and plugs. We tried testing the MSD wires that were on the car, but it was inconclusive. From what I found, they should read no more than 12,000 ohms, and I managed to get about 1,100 on one, 0 on others so I went ahead and changed them. Not ACDelco, but they came with the car so they will stay for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next came the plugs which were also given with the car. We realized though that the previous owner didn't know the engine is actually a 69' and the plugs are for a 78', but the should work to at least get her running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Whoa...is that Flamenco Red with gold metal flake nail polish ? Great choice for car color thanks for posting.

A15CRO likes this.
  5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    AC Delco wires are garbage. The higher the rpm's the more
    resistance they get which isn't good. I bought Taylor 8.2mm Thunder Volt 84001 which have 40 ohms/ft which gives you more spark. I noticed a big difference on my 70 Z28 with
    these wires.

FermentedSpirit likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Welcome to NastyZ and good luck with your project! :D

My first Camaro was a 78 Sport Coupe the same color as your Z28.
    It was sent to the crusher long ago but many of its parts are still keeping my 80 going strong!

FermentedSpirit likes this.
  7. FermentedSpirit

FermentedSpirit New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Pennsylvania
  8. Timbone

Timbone New Member

Aug 22, 2015
    New York
    Hi and welcome. One thing to do is check the rubber fuel lines there are two at the rear passenger side two under the passenger side door and two in the engine bay near the fuel pump. They are probably all dry rotted. It happened to me car would just crank and not start. I changed all six and Viola started right up. Just have to crank it for about a full minute to get the fuel pump to pull the gas from the tank

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    It is better to fill the float bowl through the vent tube with gas to get a quick start. It should run a couple mins at least. that will get it flowing.

10. A15CRO

A15CRO New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Hi, great updates. I'll be watching the progress with interest.