My Daily Driver won't start...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Cougar125, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Cougar125

Cougar125 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Starter Didn't Fix The Friggin Problem!!!

2. sschevellefan

sschevellefan Veteran Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Does it click at all? Have you checked the neutral saftey switch? Might also be your ignition switch.

3. Cougar125

Cougar125 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Whidbey Island, WA
    No click. No sound...nada. Going to run into town and get the switch here shortly. Time for shotgun troubleshooting.

Got the return today so wife ok'd me dumping couple hundred to get the b1t(h running.

4. sschevellefan

sschevellefan Veteran Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Another thing to check is the cables. I know you checked where they bolt up but i had a problem years ago that the positive cable was corroded under the sheathing. it looked fine till I got it off and cut it back. Once i replaced the cable it started right up. Can You bypass the switch to get it to start? Try rigging up a remote starter button and power up the ignition and see what happens. If it starts then it`s most likely your ignition switch.

5. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Take a jumper lead from battery positive terminal and touch the other end to the starter S terminal, that terminal will make the starter work when you touch it, that terminal is nearest the engine block, if it works you have good battery conections. BE VERY CAREFUL MAKE SHURE THE VEHICLE IS IN PARK OR NEUTURAL IT MAY START IF KEY IS ON. if that works you may have the solenoid starter signal wire on wrong terminal lots of people have made that mistake including me. there should not be a wire attached to the outer solenoid terminal.

6. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA

I've gotten bad starters before.

7. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ this would be my next step...

8. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA

What gets me is he said he gets a full 12 volts at the ignition wire. If that's true then there is nothing wrong under the dash.

Unless you got a crappy battery or a crappy battery cable and it's not letting enough amps go through, then I would say it's a bad starter from the part store.

9. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    What I have done in the past to figure out where the issue is, use jumper cables from another car and jump the starter on the problematic one, if its the starter, that will figure it out for sure.

a bad + cable sounds to me like the problem though

10. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Falmouth, KY USA
    I would test that battery.